Stock Market Correction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oldhifi, Feb 6, 2018.

1. oldhifi, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

At the end of the day if you go for long term growth none of it matters.

I've had good luck following the "leave your investments alone when the market goes down" advice. I like to append it with "keep putting money in as the market goes down". I'm not crazy enough to try predicting when the markets will peak, bottom out, etc. I just like going for long term stable growth.

That said, one of my friends is crazy and does some day trading. He's been on a caffeine ride like you wouldn't believe the last few days. 20k down on Monday, up 8 today, still up 30k for the year. Sad part is I don't think he ever leaves his house or gets a chance to enjoy his money.

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

Caffeine is one way to describe the situation. It's just another white substance.

4. oldhifi, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

This week worked out well for BTFD and swing trading.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

7. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I read that markets in Asia were scrambling to jettison declining stocks...without knowing why they were declining. A little googling will tell you why, but the panic-driven mentality of some traders gets me rolling my eyes.
    I agree with jeremysteele. I don't time the market, I simply buy and leave, with a bit more purchasing if there is a correction. Long-term growth is far better for the blood-pressure.

8. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

It's probably just chalk dust or corn starch. Nothing to worry about.

9. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

12% of US companies are “zombies”, meaning when* interest rates go up to over 3% they’ll be unable to fulfill their obligations and be in bankruptcy. That’s compared to the roughly 6% that were in this position that set off the domino effect during the Recession.

It may not today, tomorrow, or even next year but we’re barreling towards a crash bigger than last time. I say this with no irony whatsoever, Thanks Obama, you corporate snake.

*these companies made decisions based on the absurd notion that essentially free money to the banks was going to be the permanent way forward. In short, fraud.

10. Zenithal macrumors G3

I'm currently looking for potato starch. Seems to be sold out everywhere.

11. kingalexthe1st, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

If it's the bottom 12% of companies, then I doubt there's much to worry about. The 6% you mentioned that caused the recession were the banks - big, hugely profitable, apparently stable companies. It all depends on who those companies are. I'd be interested to see the breakdowns of those numbers if you have them.

12. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’ll have to grab them later tonight after work.

14. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 65816

oldhifi

15. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Global sell off? Well crap, in that case the Intergalactic Federation may swoop in and purchase Earth for the low-price of 1,000,000 quibsars. I for one welcome our new alien overlords.

16. chown33 macrumors 604

It's quatloos, not quibsars. Of this, the thralls are certain.

When I first saw the episode 'Gamesters of Triskelion", I was but a child, so despite precocious reading, had never encountered the word "thrall". Imagine my surprise some years later to read the phrase "in thrall to", then consult a dictionary (big paper kind), to discover not only was it a real word, but it was used in its real sense in the TV episode. Ah, the days when sci-fi on TV had deeper themes than "aliens smash humans", and writers skilled enough to weave les mots anciens into stories. I'll go back to my container gardening now.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Daytrading anecdotes are not a sensible way to gauge anything. It's just betting on short term fluctuations. I showed if I showed you a random walk sampled using an approximately gaussian process and a time series tracking the selling price of a particular stock over a matter of minutes, you would not be able to tell the difference.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The inflation train started its long journey when quantitative easing was implemented.

It's now about to arrive, full speed.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I am still expecting another correction by March. SPY puts are good to buy after a few days of big gains with the volatility we have these days. The volatility creates big profit opportunities