Stockholm Syndrome of the "horrible icons"

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cleo1, Jul 20, 2013.

1. cleo1 macrumors regular

Apple's strategy seems to be, by the end of the iOS 7 betas we'll have all grown to love or at least be familiar enough with the icons that were it threatened that they be taken away, the vast majority would fight it. I'm wondering, has that tipping point already been reached? I cast my vote to keep the icons. Who is with me?

2. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

The only icons I don't like are Safari and Game Center. I think by the time ios 7 is released, most of us will agree the negativity around the new icons was really blown out of proportion.

With that said, I hope they tweak some of the icons before release, but I don't think they will.

3. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Sorry, but I still dislike most of them. I hope they keep Weather and Clock and revamp the rest.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Good or bad it's not like we have that much of a choice so we more or less grow to accept them simply because of that.

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

They are fine with the exception of Settings, Newstands, and Safari. Those icons need some major adjustments.

6. darster Suspended

They are just icons. I don't know what all the hype is about. I'm more concerned about how smoothly ios7 will work as opposed to worrying about the look of icons. :rolleyes:

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I honestly don't pay any attention to the icons other than to identify the right app
    As long as the app works and does what I need, I am really not too interested in the icon

8. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

They are fine with the exception of Contacts, Camera, and Passbook. Those icons need some major adjustments. :cool:

9. cleo1 thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand the general dislike of the Safari icon, but I don't see what people find so offensive about the settings icon. Is it because it looks like it will grind your finger up if you touch it? I admit, it's funny because I recall they already addressed this in iOS 6—that the gears looked too "toothy". As far as the best new icon, Music definitely has my vote.

Attached Files:

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think what bothers me most about it is probably the fact that none of the new icons match or go with the OS X ones now. I liked how Settings looked like System Preferences, for example.

Now I just can't help but fear an iOS 7-style redesign of OS X as well... I sincerely hope they keep their styles separate while sharing influence.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not on iOS7 but from what I've seen, I don't get the reactions. Some of them are not my cup of tea but overall they seem ok, like the settings icon picture above

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Umm that's not the ios7 settings icon pictured above

13. lozpop macrumors 6502

I'm a UI designer, and I dislike most of them — the new approach is great, but the execution is poor.

A lot of my non-designer friends are telling me that they won't upgrade "because of those ugly icons".

It's not like 2006, when the majority of people didn't care about beautiful UIs on their devices. Since the iPhone, people have been educated to good graphic and UX.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I said I'm not rocking with iOS7 so I didn't know :eek:

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sorry, I have a hard time believing someone won't upgrade their software because of the look of app icons. Especially considering a lot of people put apps in folders, and in the case of Apple's apps, put them in a folder they never open because they're using 3rd party apps instead.

Spotify recently updated their app and changed their icon. I think it's kind of ugly but it hasn't stopped me from using the app. That's just silly. :rolleyes:

16. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Unfortunately, in some cases (Settings, App Store, iTunes Store) we don't have any choice but to use Apple's ugly icons. Still, though I hold out hope that Apple will revise those ugly icons between now and launch day, they didn't stop me from upgrading to iOS 7, or being glad I did.

17. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

It's kind of amusing reading these posts about iOS 7 icons over the past six or so weeks. Everyone seems to have a group of icons that they feel is improved and a group that have worsened. Me too, there's just no point in mentioning them here.

The point is these groups of worse/better icons overlap drastically among individuals. The Safari icon is better... the Safari icon is worse, etc.

This leads me to think Apple is probably not going to change much about the icons. If Apple did make drastic changes they would probably anger as many people as they pleased. The icons might get a tweak here and there but I'd be willing to bet they are largely going to remain as is.

18. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

As depressing a thought as that is, I think you're probably right.

19. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

There have been numerous polls here, each poll giving the same result: 70%+ of people prefer the look of ios7 vs. ios6.
    And here it's full of people that complain for things like the beta being full of bugs.

Now, how can you seriously expect to have a point?

I'm sincerely sorry that you don't like the new icons, but face the reality, you are the minority.

20. MBX macrumors 65816

I'm sure there'll be some adjustments to some icons. And if not, there'll be jailbreak tweaks to exchange for different styles just like in iOS6.

I believe that jailbreak for iOS7 will especially be hot because of the icon issue.

Most iOS7 icons have grown on me and it looks good on solid color wallpapers. But yes Safari, Settings, Notes and maybe even Camera could use some more love.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Even if true, being in the minority has no relationship to being right or wrong or something being good or bad. Just because a lot of people might like something--and who knows how many of those might like it because they just don't care or simply because they wanted a change, not really caring what that change actually is--doesn't make they something good or right just because of that.

22. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

The "look" of iOS 7 is more than just the icons. On the whole, I prefer the look of iOS 7, too. I like the translucency (except in the dock), I love the zoom-in / zoom-out animations and multi-page folders, and I like the minimalistic approach to apps like App Store and Contacts. I even prefer some of the icons (Clock, Weather).

I'm not saying I hope Apple reverts to the iOS 6 icon set. I actually prefer the non-glossy look. I just don't think Apple executed it very well in most cases.

Look at icons like Facebook, Dropbox, and PayPal, to name just three. Those are well done. They have good colors, subtle gradients and shading, and they look terrific. Compare them to monstrosities like the Safari and Settings icons. Can you honestly tell me they're in the same league?

I always have a point. I may not always be right, and you may not always agree with me, but I do always have a point.

I'm not sure that I am. Yes, I've seen the polls that show a majority prefer the iOS 7 icon set, as a whole, to the iOS 6 icon set. But I've also seen polls where people voted on the icons one-by-one. Then the results were more mixed. In some cases people did prefer the iOS 7 icon to its iOS 6 predecessor. But in other cases, people clearly preferred the iOS 6 icon.

Again, I don't want Apple to go back to the iOS 6 icons, I just want them to do a better job on some of the iOS 7 icons.

23. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I was a fan from the first minute iOS 7 was debuted. Looks a bit more a android to me, which I've been using for years, and more modern. I've always been a fan of bright colors too.

24. MacDevil7334, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Exactly! And I'm not sure people who don't like the new icons are actually in the minority. So far, all these polls are from tech sites and the readers who take them comprise only a small fraction of the install base who will receive iOS 7 in the fall. I have 5 family members who have iOS devices and none of them are technically minded, nor did they even know iOS 7 existed until I told them. I think there's a large group of people out there who have yet to weigh in and the jury is still out on whether these changes are actually good.

Thank you! Just because Apple decided to go to a flatter look for the icons doesn't mean they have to be ugly. There are plenty of apps that have shed the glossy look over the past year and still are really good looking. Some of these icons can be recreated in photoshop in 10 minutes. Say what you will about the old icons, but it looks like Apple spent many loving hours rendering them.

The thing that gets me about the iOS 7 icons is not just how cartoony they are (though this is a big strike against them for me), but how inconsistent they are. Some are on a white background, some on black. Some have gradients that go from light to dark (AppStore, Safari), some go from dark to light (Mail, Weather), and some have no gradient at all. Some seem to really use Apple's grid system (Weather, Safari, Photos), while others seem to ignore it altogether (Newsstand, Reminders, Camera). And why the hell is the GameCenter icon a bunch of glossy bubbles? I thought we were done with the gloss! Right now, it's not just that the icons are flat, it's that they are a jumbled mess.

Like Gogurt, I love iOS 7 on the whole. The translucencies give an elegance to the system that it just lacked before. But those icons are simply an eyesore overall.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Bearing in mind, of course, that we are talking aesthetics...a matter of personal taste.

Concepts such as right or wrong, or good or bad, are irrelevant in matters of taste. I can disagree with someone's taste, but that is not right or wrong, or good or bad...it is a difference in personal taste.