Stolen iPhone 4..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr.Who, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Dr.Who macrumors newbie

So i ride a bus everyday to get to school and its split up between middle schoolers/high schoolers.
    Yesterday I fell asleep on the bus, my phone fell out of my pocket and someone took it (I didn't just leave it I checked for anything on the seat when i left so they must have taken it when I fell asleep)

I don't have the Find My iPhone app, but i have life 360, which is like a saftey app for tracking your family.
    We tracked it down to the middle school where it was turned off and then two different houses (it was at one for half an hour and then moved to another).
    I attempted to call it so maybe the person would pick up and i could get it back, but they turned off the phone and now we can;t track it anymore.
    Today i deactivated the sim, and got a new one for my backup phone, but i wanted to know is there anything i can do? Also all the information on it (Contacts, Pictures, etc.) is there anyway to get that? (I haven't synced it with the cloud or anything, but does iTunes save those things?)

Also, I went to both of the houses to ask the parents if the kids had "found" a phone, cause i honestly just want it back..

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Well because you were lazy and didn't back anything up you can't get your info back. The tracking is precise though so you might want to try several houses that are close by to the two houses mentioned.

3. Dr.Who thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I wasn't lazy, i wasn't allowed to back it up there, its still my fathers plan :/

4. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

What? You just plug it into a computer and select backup. What plan?

5. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'm impressed you're able to fall asleep among a busload of middle grade school children and high schoolers.

6. Dr.Who thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, its been backed up on iTunes (If you mean when you sync it and it says "backing up") How do you access that?

And when you've pulled an all-nighter its not that hard.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You don't really have access to it per se. You can restore the info onto another iPhone, but it isn't a file you can browse through or anything.

8. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

When you connect the new phone to your computer, iTunes will ask you if you want to setup as a new device or restore from a backup. Just select the restore option and you'll be able to select the most recent backup you have on the computer.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

This is one of my worst fears. I would definitely keep checking the tracking service you have on it.

For when you do get your backup phone, since you've synced your old iPhone with iTunes, you can simply restore it from the backup of your old iPhone. Depending on how long ago you last synced, most, if not all, of your data should be there & transferred onto your phone.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Hate to say it but your screwed. Life lesson, welcome to responsility.

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

What he said.

ALSO don't go knocking on doors looking or an iPhone as you never know who's going to answer and if you start asking about some stolen iPhone you may just be "walking" away with your face rearranged. Expensive life lesson.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you fell asleep, you are lucky this is all that happened to you. :p

13. Dr.Who thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, that helps I wasn't sure if i could get that info back or not. I won't be getting another iPhone for a while now, but at least I know it's not all lost.

14. SteveinCC macrumors newbie

You should report the phone stolen to your phone carrier and the police (be sure to tell them what you learned from your family tracking software). It also wouldn't hurt to let the school know (they may make an announcement on the bus and provide a way for the phone to be returned with no questions asked).

Steve