Stolen iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xnickitynickx, Apr 16, 2012.

1. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

So a week ago my brother had his iPhone 4 stolen at school. After filing an apparently useless police report with an address of the phone and everything (find my iPhone). Nothing turned up. Today, I talked to Verizon and convinced a CSR to move up an upgrade from one of our lines for him. No early fee or anything.
    So mostly, I just wanted to express my pleasure with Verizon's excellent customer service. :D

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Good to hear, but that's nothing new from Verizon. I use my other family members upgrades all the time and vice versa. As long as they are available, anyone can use them not just the line that is eligible.

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Pretty sure AT&T and sprint will let ya do the same thing. :D

4. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

The cool part was that it was about 5 months away from being viable. I know sometimes they do it, but I'm really glad they approved this one :D
    Usually Verizon won't do early upgrades for iPhones, but the manager approved it since its not a 4S

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

6. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Somebody got into where his whole team keeps their bags and stole a couple iPhones actually.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Ouch. Did you guys deactivate the ESN or whatever they use on that stolen phone by calling Verizon CSR? I could be wrong but doesn't Verizon have the ability to blacklist the device so that it is no longer useable by the theft and that it is only a paperweight device?

8. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah that.

Except the theif will probably just send it abroad. I head that's where a LOT of stole iPhones end up.

9. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Yeah they blacklisted the esn. I tracked it on find my iPhone to the guy's house, but after that, they shut it off and no one has turned it on yet.

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Verizon iPhones are useless as a phone overseas- the thief would only be able to use it as an iPod touch. Doesn't matter if it's in the US or abroad.

11. wademvp91 macrumors member

Verizon usually are fairly amazing when it comes to customer service. I guess you pay for what you get since they are the most expesive ;(

12. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sucks and I'd be talking to whoevers job it was to secure the bags.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes...the rampant international cell phone flipping is a large concern for Homeland security and police departments everywhere. I also heard that Apple is planning on making stole phones explode when they cross international waters, hopefully that will help.

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Not true, rather than Apple making stolen iphones explode, they should plan on making such patent so that when it is stolen and is reported stolen that they should have the ability to completely deactivate the device so that it will never turn on. Won't be able to connect to itunes, won't be able to charge. Just becomes an expansive paperweight.

15. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

holy crap. Was that a SEIOUS and INTELLIGENT response?!

You better stop now... You may change the direction of the whole forum :rolleyes:

16. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Haha it would be terrible to have serious responses here!

He must be trolling. :rolleyes:

17. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

BAN HIM NOW!!!! :mad:

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Except that's neither serious or intelligent. You can already do this with through Apple's software, it's not their responsibility to protect your property in that fashion nor is it in any way a good idea to allow a company to remote kill a device in this fashion at their discretion.

19. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Why the anger? I was agreeing with you. :confused:

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think he was agreeing with you... Much like gremlins and water, sarcasm and the internet will never truly play well together.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

22. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

nice. he obviously didnt think it out too well if you were able to track it to the address. Did you not try going to the house?

----------

CDMA phones can be blacklisted though at least right?

23. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

The police went to the house but apparently turned up nothing. I'm not dumb enough to go there. $100 phone < my life.

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol more than a $100 phone, but yeah i understand. i just assumed it was a highschool kid since you said it was stollen out of his teams bags.

shoulda told the police there was drugs in there too ;) i bet they woulda looked harder

25. xnickitynickx thread starter macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Haha so true. I was gonna go, but I got talked out of it. And yeah, I tried to get my brother to tell the police the unsubsidized value, but they made him talk by himself, so I couldn't jump in and say 450 :rolleyes: oh well c'est la vie