Stolen iPhone 6 - So disappointed with T-Mobile (Not Preorder)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doeboynmek, Oct 3, 2014.

1. doeboynmek macrumors member

Well, to make a long story short, I drunkenly left my phone at a restaurant, came back 10 minutes later, boom, brand new iPhone 6 was gone. I had never in my life lost a phone, or broken a phone and now this. Thankfully I had insurance.

I filed the claim on Wednesday, I was told the phone would be overnighted, Thursday comes around, no phone, Thursday night comes around still no sign of shipment, I called and I said that the phone should have been overnighted and that it would arrive today. I woke up today, it's now 1pm, still no sign or tracking number. I call, and finally get a woman who sounds like she knows what she's doing, takes a couple of minutes and says "Due to the high demand the phone is on back order and there is no ETA on when we will receive more" I explained to her the inconvenience this is, and she just apologized, didn't offer any recourse or alternate options, I asked if maybe there was any other colors they could send nothing.

I'm pretty disappointed, I get that the phones are in high demand but are they really for an insurance claim? I paid my deductible and I've been paying for the service for years. Yet all I got was basically "We don't have them we don't know when we will, we'll send it to you whenever"

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

so your phone got stolen and you're mad that they can't send you a replacement fast enough?

3. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

So you think because you have an insurance claim the most in-demand phone in the world will suddenly become available for you?

There are people who ordered on pre-order day who still haven't received their phones. You already had one and lost it, and you just expect to jump the line and get a new one overnight? Entitlement much? :rolleyes:

4. doeboynmek thread starter macrumors member

I'm more upset at the lack of communication, being told something twice in a row and having a false expectation set up to just be shattered with bad news three days later is not a good business practice, and offering no recourse options is an even worse one, if you're going to be passive aggressive about things why even post?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Looks like they are constrained by the same problems that a person buying one is having. Supplies are short.

Sorry about your loss but you did leave it behind and that is not some "else's" fault.

Hope you get you new phone soon. Hope you had you phone locked down so no one could get into it!

6. Achillias macrumors regular

You should've been disappointed about yourself for losing it. Anyway the demands on the iPhone 6 are high, they have to order it like every other company.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I don't think it was passive aggressive at all. You should have been more careful.

8. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

Wow. Maybe next time you shouldn't treat your phone so carelessly.

9. slookx24 macrumors member

I'm so sorry T-Mobile is inconveniencing you after you drunkenly lost your phone.

----------

I mean, don't they know who you are? Unbelievable.

10. *KID* macrumors regular

I agree they shouldn't have told you multiple times it was on it's way overnight when it in fact was not. That is what's not cool. I would be upset too. Sorry :(

And people - that's what insurance covering lost/stolen is for - is it not? You all must be so perfect. Stop bashing the OP.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The responses to this thread are astounding.

Fact is, the OP was left with the expectation that he could pay his deductible and a replacement phone would be overnighted. Regardless of supply constraints, if this is what was stated, this is what should have happened.

His anger seems to have absolutely nothing to do with losing the phone nor is he trying to blame anyone but himself for doing so. here the ball is being dropped was with the replacement phone which, again, he was promised would be overnighted.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It looks like you got in touch with someone who communicated to you exactly what was going on with your claim. Unfortunately you lost a phone that is in high demand and with limited availability within a couple of weeks of release. I understand your frustration over the situation but I think T-mobiles hands are tied here.... It sucks that they got your hopes up initially that was bad CS on their part but what can you do, these things happen.

13. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

If that's the case then all of us who pre-ordered our phones and are still waiting should be compensated. Am I right?

14. doeboynmek thread starter macrumors member

Finally some people who care to read into the thread rather then just jump into bashing because the first line states that I drunkenly lost something.

Things happen, people lose their phones and in my 7 iPhones that I've owned, I've never broken one, had one stolen or lost one. I had a rough night and lost it, that shouldn't be over analyzed.

What I am upset about is a company setting wrong expectations and then having them flip it, and offering not even a slightest possible bill credit, a loaner phone, something to hold me over while I wait for the phone, had this been explained the moment I called to file a claim, I would be a much more accepting customer.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you were promised a phone by a customer service rep (like he was when filing a claim) and you are out the money for the order, yes.

16. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'd agree except for the bolded:

I explained to her the inconvenience this is, and she just apologized, didn't offer any recourse or alternate options, I asked if maybe there was any other colors they could send nothing.

I'm pretty disappointed, I get that the phones are in high demand but are they really for an insurance claim? I paid my deductible and I've been paying for the service for years. Yet all I got was basically "We don't have them we don't know when we will, we'll send it to you whenever"

Was she supposed to immediately say "oh, you're inconvenienced? here's a phone then!" He seems to think that paying his deductible and having been a long time customer entitles him to something here. He pays the insurance, yeah.

Anyway OP you'll get your phone eventually and forget about this. Maybe get a lanyard for it :p

17. lordofthereef, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They could have, and should have, offered a replacement phone for the interim. Many insurance companies do this.

18. Achillias macrumors regular

Just lock the phone and whipe it with iCloud so the person who has it can't do anything with it. The only sanctification you can get currently.

19. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I'd try calling back and escalating this, btw, if you don't have a backup phone or something. If you elevate it high enough you'll get something.

This is why I ALWAYS write down the name of the rep I'm talking to. They promise me something and can't deliver, I have their name and number or whatever.

20. doeboynmek thread starter macrumors member

As a customer that pays insurance you should be offered alternate options for phones that are backordered in such cases i.e a loaner phone or something along the lines, not just we'll send it when we send it. Please get off your high horse and believe that everyone is just having a false sense entitlement.

21. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

did you specifically ask for a loaner phone? Because it's kind of easy to get what you want if you just ask for it.

22. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

To the OP, I apologize for coming off a little too aggressive. Understandably so, many of us are still here waiting for our phones, so patience is running a bit thin. It's unfortunate what happened to you, purchase a cheapo phone and pop a sim to hold you over until your phone is shipped.

The carrier should have never told you or promised you overnight replacement when clearly their is a supply constrain. I guess you've learned your lesson.

23. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

It's a tough tough situation all the way around in these early times of the launch. By January, this may not even be a topic.

It's unfortuante how you've lost your phone as hopefully you've wiped it and made it become a brick. Thats another topic though.

You'll just have to grin and bear an alternate phone until which time you can get your hands onto the 6 that is coming your way.

24. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I think how the OP lost the phone and how T-Mobile handles the claim are two different issues. How he lost the phone is irrelevant -- if the claim is handled badly, he is still right to say that it is handled badly.

Personally, I think insurance of this sort is more often than not a waste of money. With the money that you pay every month for years without anything happening, you'd have saved enough to buy a new one (instead of getting a refurbished one, which is often what they give out) when something indeed happens.

Of course, those who often lose or damage their phones would indeed benefit and they should have insurance.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93