Stolen Iphone 6s, Find my iphone on but iphone offline

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anim@26, Jun 13, 2017.

1. anim@26 macrumors newbie

anim@26

Sup All,

i recently lost my iphone 6s. Before it got stolen i had find my iphone activated. However i have been trying to locate the phone since it got stolen but i keep getting a device is off line message. The issue is that my data bundle is expired and the phone is running low on battery. I would like to know whether i can still track my phone once the phone is powered on and has cellular reception not necessarily data connection.

I am also open to any suggestions as to what to do about this situation.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If your carrier data runs out then you will not be able to track it.
    Also if they restored it with iTunes you will not be able to track it any more but they will not be able to use it anyway. It will be stuck at the iCloud lock screen asking for your Apple ID and password.
    Did you have a passcode setup?

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

After the anger subsides on your loss, time to move on and get the phone replaced.

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

No promises of recovering the phone...when the phone gets charged and is in cellular coverage, findmyphone will be active again. Get a replacement phone.

Prepare for a possible contact later when they try to remove the lock. just laugh at them. And leave the iCloud lock enabled forever.

5. jetsam macrumors 6502

If the phone is connected to a "known" Wi-Fi network, "Find my iPhone" will also become active again, even without a cellular connection.

Though for many people this isn't useful, if your iPhone has in the past used one of the Cable Wi-Fi consortium's hot-spots, there is hope.

However, there is little you can safely do, even if you determine your phone's location. Is it worth risking getting hurt or killed over a phone?

6. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

The thief activated Airplane Mode on it or removed the SIM card.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or they restored it with itunes.
    Once the phone is wiped you cannot track it with find my iphone.
    But it will be stuck at the activation icloud lock screen like this below.
    iCloud-Unlock-Activate-iPhone-Linked-to-Apple-ID.jpg