Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Battlefield Fan, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Unfortunately my iPhone 4 was stolen yesterday. The criminal did a good job by turning it off and only turned it on twice. I got a rough idea of where he lives from the short time he turned it on at home.

I'm going to contact campus police tomorrow to see if anything was turned in. If not I'm going to activate my old 3GS.

In the future is there anyway I can require a passcode to turn the phone off? Find my iPhone is an awesome feature if the device is actually on... worthless otherwise.

Also are there any other major steps I should take? I'm going to send out an erase command tomorrow after contacting police just in case it ever comes back online.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not much more you can do.
    Even if they cant turn it off they can just pop out your sim card so you still wont be able to track it.
    Or shut it off and restore it.

3. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

how can they restore it if there is a lock code? Can they?

4. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Hopefully the iPhone 5 has a built in LoJack system that can't be shut off :D

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Did you have a pass code set ? If so you could send a message to it to lock and/or wipe it as soon as he turned it on.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they can.
    Its called a DFU restore.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
    Any iphone with a passcode can be restored again.
    What would happen if you forgot your passcode somehow, then you'd be stuck with an unusable iphone?

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

He can reset it, instructions are all over including on Apples website, without ever again activating the actual radios on the device.

Find m iPhone is really not intended to be able to locate a stolen device, only a misplaced one... The wipe and lock functions can protect your data, but recovering a stolen device is unlikely.

-t

8. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

If iOS 5 will have a feature where you would have to enter in a passcode to shut off the iPhone, I would be all over that update. Sucks that if you lose an iPhone, the person can simply turn it off even if you have a passcode on it.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What if they pop out your sim?
    How you're going to track it then?
    Find my iphone like said above is not lojack. It can help you find it if misplaced but its not a stolen phone recovery system.

10. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Just because they remove a sim doesn't mean it's untrackable. The findmyi app is still enabled so it would work with any data sim + wifi

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There are ways to get around todays current tracking software.

Best to be mad for a day or two and then move on!

No one is going to do anything as thousands of iPhones are stolen every week. I think the carriers make sure that Apple does nothing to stop a stolen phone from being "re-used" as they want you to use it on their network. If a carrier like AT&T really wanted to help they would block IMEI numbers but they have no desire to do so.

Apple could do this better, but they will not.:rolleyes:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont work unless they connect to wifi obviously:rolleyes:

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@OP: I fell your pain. I hate thieves. Perhaps one day Apple or some other manufacture will create a security system that can't be abused by the government but could be used to track stolen phones. As for the thief, as they say: Hang 'em high....

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

16. GElite macrumors newbie

dude if u send a wipe command then youll never get it back. Send a lock command and a message saying im on the way with the cops, id suggest u leave my phone on your pourch. If they use a diffrent sim as long as they dont wipe it then it will still tell icloud where it is. All it needs is data capabilities. Even a wifi will work. If they would just put a small amount of explosives in the phone with a blow the thief up command that would stop theft pretty quick! jk or at least give you the option to permenantly disable the phone

17. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

They were smart and wiped it. Its been almost 2 months now and Find My iPhone hasn't found it.

I got a white iPhone 4 32GB a week or two after. Paid a lot for it. A week later I dropped it while ordering food and it smashed the front screen. That was with a bumper on. Paid even more for apple to fix it. I have the worst luck with phones. Its now in an otter box.

18. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If you have the IMEI-number, AT&T should be able to provide the police with the exact position of the iPhone (using triangulation) along with the phone number of the SIM-card being used.

19. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

But they won't.

While technologically possible, they never ever do this unless there is an emergency.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Why is that? To ensure the privacy of the thief?

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

22. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So what's the best protection you can have these days given the apps and technology available? I have Find my iPhone set up and password required after an hour. I installed Prey but it seemed to work better on my MBP than on my iPhone. Any other precautions we should all take aside from not leaving it somewhere that it can be stolen or lost?

23. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, lots of laws are made to protect people's privacy, and usually the only ones who need the protection in these cases are the criminals. You can thank the ACLU for that.

Anyhow, if done fast, find my friends/iPhone is an excellent way to keep track of the phone. A guy came into the Pct. I was working in one day a few months ago and said someone stole his iPhone. So he showed me his girlfriend's iPhone (I did not have one at the time, so this really amazed me) and it showed me the exact location to the point we were watching it move down the street on the screen. So we loaded him into a car and took a ride to where it was on the phone. The victim pointed it out the guy who stole his phone, and it was recovered. Bad guy got new bracelets. Good guy got his phone back.

But again, this only works when done immediately.

24. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Although in theory your right, the Telco's are not usually so helpful.
    (It would take a moderate amount of effort on their part to do all this.)

What they may do is blacklist the IMEI-number so it can't be used again on their network with a new SIM , and on theory that can share this, so it can't be used on a different carriers network.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

this.....