Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 4004, Oct 19, 2012.

1. 4004 macrumors member

Long story short my 4 was stolen from a Starbucks under CCTV. Ironic timing and I am trying to get a 5 now, but anyway. This all is happening in the UK, Brighton. I contacted cops, sent them imei and find my iPhone screenshots purportedly depicting thief's house, but police here in the UK is somewhat lazy or what. They told me there is no footage of the incident on the CCTV and they won't investigate without it. Is there anything I can do to get my phone back? I locked it with FMI but it hasnt been located for 2 weeks, so I guess it was restored. Any variants/similar experiences?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lots of similar stories i'm afraid.

My iphone 4 was pick pocketed around 4 months ago and after locking it, sending a reward message and then remote wiping it i contacted my network asking them to lock it out too.

If there is no cctv footage and your iphone is offline how do you expect the uk police to proceed ?

Then i moved on by buying the 4s and now the 5.

3. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

The thing is there must be footage, because it all happened under a camera. Also, is there a way to track it with network's help using imei?

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Imei triangulation can be done but i don't think the network would entertain a use of these resources unless the authorities sanctioned it.

5. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

That's a pity. Now I see why the English don't like their police that much. Also the fact that FMI is defaulted by a restore is making me hopeless. Thanks god I had some cloud backup

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    You cant track it if they restored it and the networks wont help just like the cops.
    They have better things to do.
    Not much you can do besides report it stolen and have your carrier blacklist it. Then move on and be more carefull next time.

7. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

I'm sorry - but to say that the reason people don't like their police force is because they don't drop everything and use the time they could be spending on apprehending pedophiles, murderers, swindlers and Cincinnati Bengals Cheerleaders, to go after petty thefts that can be clearly attributed to the inattention of the original owner, who, in a crowded place, left a shiny object that was easy to pocket, is ludicrous.

8. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

I am not saying that based on my experience, I am quoting what other people told me about situations trickier than "petty thefts". Anyway, thanks everybody for your answers, never lost my phone before and didn't know what to do. Will move on

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As far as it being "under" the camera - in my experience, that's one of least visible places. They are usually angled away, somewhat.

And I don't see them tracking the phone by IMEI without someone being in danger. As said, contact your character and blacklist the phone.

10. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You were irresponsible with your phone and the police won't drop their lives to help you so you see why people don't like the cops? Ok, I see how it works now.

Sorry your phone went MIA

11. 4004 thread starter macrumors member

So the thing is I decided to go through some "resellers" and found the phone. The apparently even didnt flip my sim out, just restored it so it is no longer in Russian. Called the police, waiting for their action. Hope the shop won't just throw the phone out somewhere to hide. And even if no, I don't know how to prove it's mine apart from model No and imei

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Everyone is entitled to law enforcement. If you have a triangulated position the police should investigate.