Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applephanatic, Mar 26, 2013.

1. applephanatic macrumors member

Last night someone stole my dads iPhone while he was playing hockey at a local rink. Once he realized someone stole it, he asked me to try and find it using Find My iPhone app on my iPhone. Luckily, the iPhone was located moving at a fast speed down an interstate and I was able to play a sound and put the phone into lost mode. This is the part where things begin to go downhill. After about 30 seconds of being in lost most, and having the alarm play, the phone stopped moving down the interstate and became stationary on said interstate. The phone continued to give me its location for about 20 minutes, and then BOOM! No more GPS or information; however I was able to take a screen shot of the map and send it to my mom and dad.
    This morning they went out in search for the phone. The good news was they found it! The bad news was:
    IMG_1468.jpeg

I hope you found this to be interesting! Thanks for reading!

2. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Don't you just love people?! They deserve a can of whoop ass opened on them

3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Wow, that sucks! Looks like it was run over multiple times.

At least you got the phone back. Take it into Apple, tell them your story. Maybe they'll give you an OOW replacement.

4. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

why did you play a sound and lock it when it was obviously stolen???? all the thief would do it turn it off or chuck it

you should have got in your car and followed it

5. applephanatic thread starter macrumors member

Yes because that's obviously the best decision I could of made. :rolleyes:
    Apple replaced it for 49 bucks (Applecare+) so its not a huge deal. But getting into a car chase in a large city at 1AM isn't my ideal way to spend a night!

6. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

you got lucky and they chucked it so you got it back, most thief's would have turned it off or jacked the sim out

and its not a car chase its follow and observe

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

What a jerk, not it's useless for both parties!

8. applephanatic thread starter macrumors member

HAHA true not a car chase! It def, would of been quite the night/morning ride however! And I know I got lucky! But if I do recall, because it is a Verizon iPhone 5, I could Blacklist the IMEI number?

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Actually, you are VERY lucky. Now at least u have a phone to take to apple for a replacement. Even if u have to pay $229, it's a whole lot better then not getting the phone back, and having to pay full price (~$649). And who knows, you might get one for free if the genius believes ur story and feels bad. Either way, the key is u got the phone back. I consider it a win for u and a rare success story for the "find my phone" app.

10. applephanatic thread starter macrumors member

Actually, i am away at college, roughly 4 hours away from home! I logged into FMiP from my phone, my dad brought it into the local apple store this morning (we have 4 within 45 minutes of my house) and they replaced it for 50 bucks! It sucks that some jerk had to go and steal it, but it could of been a lot worse! Thats my dads business phone so a lot of personal info! Luckily lost mode pretty much disables the phone from use unless you can guess the pass code... He is just relieved that everything for the most part worked out!

11. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

12. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

SERIOUSLY :mad:
    That pisses me off how people could be. SKETCHY people these days SMH ! errr