Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtrindade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Hi Guys,

Quite a story here: I think my kid nephew stole my iPod touch but I'm trying to prove it. It magically reappeared so I have the iPod AND I could have access to his computer.

I would like to know:
if there is a way of knowing to which computer the iPod was connected (from the iPod)
OR
If my iPod was connected to his computer.

It seems to me he tried connecting it to his computer because the first screen I get when I turn it on is a USB cable, an arrow and an iTunes symbol (as if it was connected to iTunes or it suggests connecting to iTunes). See attached file.

I hope someone can help out!

Thanks!!
J

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
If you had a passcode it sounds like the max attempts were made to break it otherwise he or she would have been able to restore it. Your best bet is confronting the person with fake evidence if you truly think they tried to steal it.

jtrindade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Hey Airforcekid!

Nope... I had no password on the iPod... I'm also wondering what other things may cause that screen to appear upon turning the iPod on...

I really would hope there was some way of knowing what iPods have been connected to a certain computer...

Thanks anyway!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
One way this screen would appear is if they tried to perform a restore on the device and then disconnected the iPod halfway through.

If they've connected it to their computer and tried to sync it, there may be a backup in iTunes. Open iTunes, open Preferences, click on Devices, and check if there's any backups listed under there between the dates the iPod was missing, and if the name matches that of your iPod (or is even an iPod touch).

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Hey Airforcekid!

Nope... I had no password on the iPod... I'm also wondering what other things may cause that screen to appear upon turning the iPod on...

I really would hope there was some way of knowing what iPods have been connected to a certain computer...

Thanks anyway!

Ok so what iOS did you have on the iPod when it was stolen? If that screen is appearing, he could of tried to restore it on his pc and the restore messed up and caused it to show that screen. Also just for S&G's, have you tried hard reset and plugged it into iTunes to see if it boots passed it anyways? I've restored an iPhone before and it had no errors but showed the iTunes screen after the completetion. And all I did was unplug and replug the iPhone into PC and it booted past it. Idk, could of been a flook.

Anyways, if it's on the screen and doesn't do as described above, ^^^. Only thing you can do really is DFU and restore as new iPod and if you have a backup, restore from that if need be.

Hope you get it resolved.

jtrindade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Hey Guys!

Well, the fact that the screen that appears mean he tried to sync to his own computer is great news because it might have been enough for my iPod's sn to have registered on his computer...

It would be great if iPods maintained a register of the computers they have been connected to...

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.