Stolen MBP Retina - Find My Mac - Should you lock or not? Reinstall OSX w EFI PW?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaau, Sep 28, 2014.

1. alphaau macrumors newbie

I recently had a Macbook Pro 13" (Retina) stolen.

I think we did add an iCloud account to the device, which should enable Find My Mac automatically, correct?

However, I just checked my iCloud account, and the stolen MBP is showing as offline. A different Macbothat I have is showing as "Last online 2 hours ago".

Does that mean that that Find My Macbook is enabled or not?

If iCloud Find My Mac is enabled, what are the next steps? I've been told I should not use the "Lock" option, as that will actually disable all of the location-tracking stuff. Is that right? Should I just be hoping that somebody plugs it in eventually, and then iCloud will send me that location? Or should I be doing something else.

Also, I *think* an EFI password was enabled, but Filevault wasn't. However, it was in sleep.

There is a password on the admin account, and there's also a guest account.

It's a MBP Retina, so I guess they can't remove the SSD easily. However, I assume they can probably read the data off the admin account through the guest account somehow?

Are they able to reinstall OSX even with the EFI password set?

2. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I don't know if Find My Mac is enabled my default but remember it will only be found when its on and connected to WiFi, no cellular or GPS/GLONASS chips in it.

Good that you have a UEFI password enabled, this stops people from wiping the Mac. Yes it's pretty tricky if they want to replace the SSD. Filevault encrypts your data so in theory if you don't have it they could access the data although that wouldn't be easy if you have it passworded so they can't access the bootmenu.

I don't know if they can reinstall OS X without having the UEFI password, I imagine they can't.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wouldn't the thief just wipe the computer and reinstall OS X? That would remove Find my Mac?