Stop already with the 128gb whining..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaprofitt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Gaprofitt macrumors regular

Sorry, I have to rant. I keep reading all these posts about why Apple didn't release a 128GB version. Think about it. How many users need more than 64GB, I would guess probably about 1 in 500.. Why build an item and try and handle stock for a product which the masses do not desire. It wouldn't make sense for Apple to release a 128GB version. If anything a microSD card slot would make a lot more sense.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Hoarding is a mental illness. If you pack-rat things and don't organize your phone then 128GB won't help you. You'll simply fill that up and have people complaining that Apple doesn't have a 256GB version :p

3. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

i think 16GB is getting too low now a days..32GB should be the lowest..apps are getting bigger/camera are getting better ect...

i have a feeling apple will dump the 16GB like samsung did with the note 3:D
    cant wait to get that:) ill be sticking to my iphone 5 till iphone 6S:D im sure will see a 128GB on iphone 6

4. Icculus macrumors 6502

I have a 32gb version and I am thinking about getting the 16gb version...with itunes match the amount of data I have on my iPhone is very little. Really just need enough for pictures and HD video and that still might push me to 32gb...dunno yet but I have until Friday.

5. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Listen, I was one who wished they'd have added a 128 GB phone, but I am not whining..

But to post a thread to vent? Really?

6. Kurso macrumors 6502

People use their phones differently. I personally have zero use for a 128GB phone but for someone that has a big music collection and likes to watch movies on their phone, or simply uses it for backup, file storage, etc... 128GB will be useful.

Should it stop you from buying a phone? No. Should they ask for it f they need it? Yes.

7. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

The iPad and iPod Classic are both offered in 128+GB, so there is a market for it.

My music collection alone, after cleaning it up multiple times, is 43GB. That leaves me with very little space on a 64GB phone after you consider actual capacity of the drive and the size of the OS.

I've been having to manage data in different ways for years now. 128GB is something I've been looking forward to for a long time. Hopefully next year.

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

So if you have a large movie or photo collection that you want to take with you, you are hoarding? What about the 64GB iPhone? Is that for 'hoarders' only too? Where do you draw the line?
    Once again, telling people that what they should want is not what they actually want.
    How's this for an idea? if Apple sees that the market for a 128GB iPhone is big enough to support the overhead costs of an additional stock item, and the profit margins meet requirements, they will introduce it - regardless of whether you think only 'hoarders' will buy it.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your no better than they are. Actually you are worse because they are posting for a legitimate reason and you on the other hand are just complaining about other people posting.

10. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Just because you don't need or want 128GB doesn't mean the need for it doesn't exist. Are you Bill Gates and "no one will ever need more than 640K memory"? Whining about something is annoying, but whining about whining is VERY annoying.

By the way, if so many people are whining about it that it annoys you, then obviously there IS more of a demand for 128GB than you realize.

11. Kurso macrumors 6502

For what its worth I think there is a simple reason we don't have a 128GB phone: They are reserving it for when pricing pressure comes.

Apple is likely to try and maintain the price of the iPhone at its current levels, to maintain revenue. I would guess the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s (my guess) will drop the 16GB option and make 32GB the $199 option.

12. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

My 64gb iP5 is almost full. iTunes Match is rubbish with a 25,000 track limit. I might have considered upgrading to a 5S if it had 128gb capacity.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Sure I would like 128 version but Hell no I'm not willing to 1 grand for a phone off contract. Most people won't either. Apple knows they won't sell much of it so it's pointless for them.

14. Giuly, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

That issue had been addressed in 1997 already.

Get a NAS and an iPad with cellular, fill it with 4x4TB disks and you have 12TB of kinda-redundant storage at your disposal to store music and you can listen to all of it on the go. That's about one year of continuous music at 384kbit/s.

As the storage doubles, so does the need for storage. Do we want to keep continuing to complain that we run out of storage every 12-24 months or can we start talking about 2027 instead now, please?

15. 617aircav Suspended

how much music on your phone can you possibly listen to in a month.

16. BJonson, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

Macrumors if full of idiotic posts like this. Makes no sense why anybody but an apple employe or aapl shareholder would come on here and try to say that apple shouldn't make A or Z product. Apple doesn't make enough products, that's a fact. You don't see the bitching about the screen size or lack of removable batteries on android forums because there is an android phone that does that. Saying that apple should not make a 128gb version is pretty short sighted. You can't have enough storage, speed, options EVER in a phone or a computer.

Really let's stop all the apologizing for apple. They have done this forever. They trickle out releases as slow as possible while only doing the bare minimum to keep you with them. THe moment they feel you slipping they introduce that feature you whined about for 3yrs. if you are lucky.

Apple are masters of giving you just enough water to stay alive, not enough to make you satisfied, just enough to live. They know none of you will leave the apple desert when its so easy to hop a plane to Hawaii and drink all you want. Apple will tell you the sand is better than the trees because the sun is more plentiful, they will tell you that no place to get water or food is better than the rest of the world because less is more and its so easy to see everything when trees and restaurants just block the view. They will convince you that the 120F heat wave is better for your skin than a nice cool 75F. They will tell you, you will believe and you will actually be convinced to love the dry desolate desert. Enjoy the sand baby.

17. Rafterman macrumors 68000

On a side note to that, also consider "hardware pressure". The iPad didn't get 128GB until all these Windows 8 tablets started coming out, with 128GB. They probably won't do a 128GB iPhone until Android starts doing phones that support 128GB combined (internal plus SD).

But what made it disappointing was that iOS7 code has support for a 128GB iPhone model. That's why everyone thought it was coming.

18. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I imagine another reason for no 128GB 5S is to avoid the inventory getting too large. 3 phone colours already in 3 sizes and then various versions for different world regions/carriers. That's before you look at the 5c in 2 size variations, 5 colours etc

Until 64GB models become more popular than those with 16GB, I imagine they'll keep to the current 3 sizes. It might be that with the cheaper 5c, they'll see fewer people go for the 16GB 5S, but I know of several people who are happy with 16GB because they have an IPod for their music collection because its too large even for 128GB.

19. chabig macrumors 68040

How much did it cost you to buy more than 25,000 tracks?

20. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

People who whine about the lack of a 128GB iPhone don't seem to understand WHY it doesn't exist.

128GB NAND modules are impractical and expensive at the moment, and Apple doesn't like to release compromised products (remember how the 4S didn't get LTE because of battery life?)

The iPad has a 128GB version because it uses 2 NAND modules as apposed to the iPhone's single module, hence the iPad can have 2x64GB modules while the iPhone is stuck with only 1x64GB, so it's current max storage is 64GB.

The iPhone 6 will more than likely have a 128GB storage option as 128GB NAND modules become more prevalent and practical.

Please research before complaining.

21. cube macrumors G5

64GB already costs 1 grand. And much worse in some countries.

22. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Don't even have the time to listen to the all the music (~1500 tracks) loaded, but a greater choice would be nice when I did

I hate to think. Do you wanna buy some CDs?

23. cube macrumors G5

That would be a bit over 10,000 euro if you know how to buy (and not even used or rock bottom).

24. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

SanDisk produces both eMMC in two flavors as well as single-chip SATA SSDs in 128GB capacities, it's in plain sight on their website. And I guess so does Toshiba.

25. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

only people who suffer from digital compulsive hoarding need more than 64GB in a phone today.