Stop Automatic Application Startup

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Huntn, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Recently I purchased a new scanner, Plustek brand OpticSlim 2610. It comes with an application called Mac Action which offers settings for scanning documents.

Of note I've been using VueScan for over a decade, but can't get that to work with this scanner. :(

Anyhow, MacAction starts up whenever I start my computer. I've gone to the Settings>Users>Login items and it's not listed there. Where else can I check to keep this application from starting up automatically?

I'm not sure if this is a factor, but this scanner does not seem to have an on-off button, it's runs off my USB hub and it's always plugged in and always turned on. I might assume this is why MacAction is always turning on by itself. I suppose I could disconnect it and see if that help with this program auto starting, in fact I'll do that, but I'll still ask.

Helpful suggestions appreciated!
    Thanks! :)

2. Lunder89 macrumors 6502

Lunder89

Here are a couple of locations to check:
    You are looking for plist files from the scanner software or company, all you do, is delete them. If you want to keep the files around just in case, zip them, and delete them.
    • Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchAgents
    • Macintosh HD > Library > LaunchDaemons
    • Home folder > Library > LaunchAgents

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check in all these folders for the launch item.

Code:
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents (~ is your users folder)
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/StartupItems
    /System/Library/Extensions/

4. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

what about preferences of the macaction program itself?

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Thanks, I will!

I did not know a setting like this existed within program preferences.

6. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

some programs do some do not.

I am not familiar with your program.

e.g. facebook messenger app I have set to auto start in the program preferences.
    Skype does not have this setting and is done via system preferences and start on login is set under user account login items.

7. Huntn, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

The only of these folders that I have is ~/Library/LaunchAgents and it does not have anything called MacAgent or appears associated with the opticslim scanner. Just checked the application and it's running in the background. The scanner is unplugged, so I'll check the app again on my next startup.

This application sits in a folder labeled Plustek, located in my Applications folder.

When I right click on the Application, under options there is a place where I can check this to launch upon login, but that is unchecked.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you are looking in the wrong spot for the other folders, because everybody has them. In Finder select Macintosh HD like I have here then navigate through the folders to the right. There are different than the ~ users area I think you were in.

Screen_Shot_2018-02-27_at_7_32_03_AM.png

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Ok, found this section, Startup Folder is empty, I don't see anything in LaunchAgents or LaunchDaemons that I can associate with MacAgent or this scanner. For now, I'm leaving the scanner unplugged and waiting for an event that causes the MacAgent program to start up on it's own. I'll restart the computer to verify it does not start up.
    Thanks for the help!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    @Weaselboy, a restart did not trigger this program. I'm wondering because this scanner is powered only by USB, which in my experience is unusual for something of this size to not have an independent power source, I'm wondering if the powered hardware can trigger the program to start up?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sort of, but the launch item would still be there in the folder and just not running.

I have an idea. Download and run the app Etrecheck. It will create an anonymized report showing all launch and startup items. If the problem does not jump out out you from that report, post it up here and we can have a look.

(I'll be offline a few hours having a root canal this morning, so will checkin with you later.)

Etrecheck

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Will do thanks! :)

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

On a second restart, I discovered that MacAgent was again running with the scanner disconnected. I'll download that program you mentioned and generate a report.

13. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Ar least it’s called MacAgent and not MacKeeper, so there’s that ;-)