Stop it, there will NOT be a larger iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cdaddy112, May 30, 2012.

1. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So, you think Tim's going to say "Oh no, we've got bigger phones coming out next week"??

No. He'll say we have one phone with one screen resolution up until the day he says "Look! Here's a phone with a bigger screen and a different resolution and here's why it's great and here's how we're going to make it easy for you to develop for it."

3. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

Tim Cook:
    “One thing is that we’re not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it’s pretty simple if you’re a developer.”

what does that mean to you?

4. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

It means we are going to have to wait and see what happens.

5. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It means nothing. Nothing at all.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Making a thread like this is exactly as pointless as making a thread on how there will absolutely be a larger iPhone. The OP had it half right. Just stop it. :rolleyes:

7. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

At least somebody got it..........

8. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

It mean we won't know a damn thing until it gets announced....and if you think you do you're a moron. End of story.

9. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

Nice, another insulting internet poster that can't chat intelligently with his fellow species, oh well, have a nice evening.

10. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Honestly we won't know for sure until the official announcement. I remember in the weeks and months leading up to the iPhone 4S release, I thought we were surely going to get a complete redesign with a bigger screen. I'm hoping there is a change. Although I probably won't get one, since I'm happy with the 4S. It'll be nice to see progress there phone design.

11. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I understand it to suggest he recognizes part of the success of the iPhone is it's structure and form... changing that now doesnt really play into their business plan.

Regardless, bigger, smaller or the same... the apple fans will continue to buy their products by the truck load.

$$$

12. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Based on what he said I think we can conclude that there will not be an iPhone with a 4" screen.. I'm pretty sure we all know why Apple opted for a 3.5" screen by now, and that is simply because it's the sweet spot from a usability standpoint, and of course it makes using the phone with one hand a good & easy experience..

13. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Yamcha, I pray you are right. I think the 4/4S form factor and size is PERFECT. I don't desire to have a tablet in my pocket. If they would just take the 4S and upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, and maybe larger storage...fine with me.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

All will be revealed in the fall! Right before we find out if the Mayans were right. :eek:

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I refuse to believe they wont come out with at least a 4" screen. If they dont that would be bad for Apple .

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It means he went to the same sleight-of-speech school that Steve Jobs did :)

If he had said, "We WILL ALWAYS have one phone...", then it might mean something.

However, he only spoke about right now, "We HAVE one phone...".

Whenever an Apple exec talks, you have to pay attention to the phrasing nuances.

17. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

“One thing is that we’re not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it’s pretty simple if you’re a developer.”

...up until now.

18. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

It's simple. The next iPhone may or may not have a screen size change. The only thing that is certain is that if no bigger screen is introduced I'll move to a competitor that better meets my needs. I suggest everyone else to follow a similar approach.

19. gta50419 macrumors 6502

lol negged OP.
    There will be a bigger screen.

20. Syk macrumors 6502a

Geez so a 4.3" screen is now a tablet:rolleyes: I could understand someone not wanting a Note or SIII in their pocket. Perfect for you isn't perfect for everyone.
    Apple isn't going to be able to keep that 3.5" & only upgrade hardware but keep the same 4s design and expect people to continue to buy it.

21. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

You do realize he says "we have one phone with one screen size, one resolution" right? Well of course you do. But have you thought about it?

Yes. They do have one phone with one screen size. This statement means absolutely nothing...Cook is merely stating what Apple's current availability of phones is - the 3.5" screen found on the iPhones 4S, 4, and 3GS (and 3G, etc).

Why are you trying to look for something that's not there? Again, I have to restate what I said before...Cook's statement means absolutely nothing. They do have one phone with one screen size. This hints nothing about the future or past, just the present. Right now, they have one phone with one screen size.

Will this change in the future?
    Did the iPhone start off with a 3.0" screen in the past?
    Cook's statement answers none of those statements and if you think it does, then you're just looking for things that aren't there.

Again, to reiterate:

(paraphrased) "We have one phone, one screen size, one resolution" = "presently, the Apple devices being sold right now are of one screen size and one resolution (iPhone 4 & 4S)"

"we have one phone, one screen size, one resolution" =/= "(insert anything about the past or future)"

22. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

app developers don't want to deal with several screen sizes. its not ideal.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would like to point out that up until the day Apple announced the intel macs they said they would never go to x86 or leave PPC.
    They also ran the intel sucks up until that day as well.

What Tim said there is worse less than the crap that comes out my rear and I flush that down the pot.