Stop it, there will NOT be a larger iPhone

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
So, you think Tim's going to say "Oh no, we've got bigger phones coming out next week"??

No. He'll say we have one phone with one screen resolution up until the day he says "Look! Here's a phone with a bigger screen and a different resolution and here's why it's great and here's how we're going to make it easy for you to develop for it."

Comment

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Dude, it says "may have hinted" - its all up to perception. Might want to post sources other than ZDNET when you are trying to make a "well thats that" statement.
Tim Cook:
“One thing is that we’re not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it’s pretty simple if you’re a developer.”

what does that mean to you?

Comment

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Tim Cook:
“One thing is that we’re not fragmented. Look at the percentage of users who upgraded to iOS 5. We have one App Store. We have one phone with one screen size, one resolution. So it’s pretty simple if you’re a developer.”

It means nothing. Nothing at all.

Comment

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Making a thread like this is exactly as pointless as making a thread on how there will absolutely be a larger iPhone. The OP had it half right. Just stop it. :rolleyes:

Comment

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
Tim Cook:

It mean we won't know a damn thing until it gets announced....and if you think you do you're a moron. End of story.

Comment

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
It mean we won't know a damn thing until it gets announced....and if you think you do you're a moron. End of story.
Nice, another insulting internet poster that can't chat intelligently with his fellow species, oh well, have a nice evening.

Comment

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Honestly we won't know for sure until the official announcement. I remember in the weeks and months leading up to the iPhone 4S release, I thought we were surely going to get a complete redesign with a bigger screen. I'm hoping there is a change. Although I probably won't get one, since I'm happy with the 4S. It'll be nice to see progress there phone design.

Comment

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I understand it to suggest he recognizes part of the success of the iPhone is it's structure and form... changing that now doesnt really play into their business plan.

Regardless, bigger, smaller or the same... the apple fans will continue to buy their products by the truck load.

$$$

Comment

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Based on what he said I think we can conclude that there will not be an iPhone with a 4" screen.. I'm pretty sure we all know why Apple opted for a 3.5" screen by now, and that is simply because it's the sweet spot from a usability standpoint, and of course it makes using the phone with one hand a good & easy experience..

Comment

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Yamcha, I pray you are right. I think the 4/4S form factor and size is PERFECT. I don't desire to have a tablet in my pocket. If they would just take the 4S and upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, and maybe larger storage...fine with me.

Comment

kdarling

macrumors P6
Tim Cook:

It means he went to the same sleight-of-speech school that Steve Jobs did :)

If he had said, "We WILL ALWAYS have one phone...", then it might mean something.

However, he only spoke about right now, "We HAVE one phone...".

Whenever an Apple exec talks, you have to pay attention to the phrasing nuances.

Comment

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

...up until now.

Comment

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
It's simple. The next iPhone may or may not have a screen size change. The only thing that is certain is that if no bigger screen is introduced I'll move to a competitor that better meets my needs. I suggest everyone else to follow a similar approach.

Comment

Syk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yamcha, I pray you are right. I think the 4/4S form factor and size is PERFECT. I don't desire to have a tablet in my pocket. If they would just take the 4S and upgrade the CPU, GPU, RAM, and maybe larger storage...fine with me.
Geez so a 4.3" screen is now a tablet:rolleyes: I could understand someone not wanting a Note or SIII in their pocket. Perfect for you isn't perfect for everyone.
Apple isn't going to be able to keep that 3.5" & only upgrade hardware but keep the same 4s design and expect people to continue to buy it.

Comment

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
You do realize he says "we have one phone with one screen size, one resolution" right? Well of course you do. But have you thought about it?

Yes. They do have one phone with one screen size. This statement means absolutely nothing...Cook is merely stating what Apple's current availability of phones is - the 3.5" screen found on the iPhones 4S, 4, and 3GS (and 3G, etc).

Why are you trying to look for something that's not there? Again, I have to restate what I said before...Cook's statement means absolutely nothing. They do have one phone with one screen size. This hints nothing about the future or past, just the present. Right now, they have one phone with one screen size.

Will this change in the future?
Did the iPhone start off with a 3.0" screen in the past?
Cook's statement answers none of those statements and if you think it does, then you're just looking for things that aren't there.

Again, to reiterate:

(paraphrased) "We have one phone, one screen size, one resolution" = "presently, the Apple devices being sold right now are of one screen size and one resolution (iPhone 4 & 4S)"

"we have one phone, one screen size, one resolution" =/= "(insert anything about the past or future)"

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.