stop marriage all together!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chris200x9, Jan 15, 2011.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I've been going over the whole gay marriage issue in my head. Why is the government involved in marriage at all? I know you get marriage benefits under law, and gay people want them too. I also understand the whole "but it will sully the sanctity of marriage" crowd. Now I don't know many gay people, but they don't seem particularly religious to me. So why don't we abolish "marriage" in the eyes of the law all together, and replace it with something that's basically the exact same thing. Then have a clause in there that says something to the effect marriage (I'm thinking of a church wedding) implies this new thing. That way gays don't church "marry" but they get the exact same benefits.

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I think it will eventually go down to that. Republicans clearly won't back down on the issue so the most logical solution is out the window.

One thing I would like to see happen: Gays go through the "ceremony" of a marriage even if it was lawfully meaningless. Invite everyone. Go through the whole church, cake, and "I do" thing. Won't mean anything, but it sure would bring a lot of attention to the issue, and piss off a whole bunch of homophobes which is always fun.

3. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

If trolling the religious into anger is your objective, just buy out some space in the announcements in the paper. Adam & Steve, Eric & Jeremy... Just avoid gender neutral titles and you will get your ragers.

Or billboards. Those are always fun to get.

4. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Newspapers would be great. Billboards wouldn't work because churches have trillions of dollars and would just get more and bigger ones.

5. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I know some religious gays. So there goes your theory. Seems more logical that a church should choose who they're willing to marry or not. Instead of getting rid of the entire thing because of some homophobes.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Republicans clearly will eventually back down on the issue, public opinion is moving.

8. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

To me, marriage is just a word. I could not care less about the religious aspects of the institution, it's the legal aspects that I mind and want to be able to hold.

You can argue until you are blue in the face that all people should have all rights, but in a time when the world is this insane, you just have to look at it and ask "is it worth it?" If the answer is no, then don't worry about it so much. You can still live with your husband or wife even if you dont have a piece of paper that says they are your husband or wife. If the answer is yes, good for you. But realize that fighting for your belief is going to be a massive inconvenience to you, your lifestyle, your career, etc. In the states, being gay is just out of fashion for the majority of voters.

Alternately, move to Canada, and enjoy gay marriage, no TSA, more relaxed weed policies, an abundance of courtesy... :cool:

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This is absolutely brilliant. What a way to control traffic flow. :cool:

Shunt all the crazies off the main routes.

Awesome.

10. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's basically what I'm saying, just rename the legal thing for everybody. Have the church thing the same, but have the church thing imply the legal thing.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#Polls_in_2010

12. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Kinda. Public opinion always feels like it is moving... but then something always happens. If marriage has trouble staying legal in California of all states it will take forever for it to really move forward everywhere else.

As you can see, I have little faith in American people and government. :p :(

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

We could always just go back to the good ole' days of when you decided that you liked something, you piss on it to let everyone else know.

14. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

That's fun and all, but I wonder what the distributions of the polls were. Urban dwelling people are always much more liberal that rural and suburban people (hicks and soccer moms hate the fags, remember), so polls of major cities that are forward minded will usually voice support, while all sorts of people will come out of the woodwork when an actual vote is proposed to "destroy marriage."

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Seeing as many churches make economic advances from having marriages, I doubt them going away.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Seeing as the government and many lawyers make economic advances from having divorces, I doubt them going away as well.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My understanding is most gays do not have an issue with the churches refusing to do marriages. It is with in the churches right to say no and they can sight scripture that says way they will not support it.
    What they do want is the goverment to give same sex couples the same rights M/F couples have. That is my view on it.

If they started demanding the churches perform the marriages I would be against that as I feel it is in the churches right to say no. I feel that would cross the line in separation of church and state. At the same time I am very much for Gays gaining the right to marry in the eyes of the law.

18. Eraserhead, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wouid presume that CNN and the AP would be capable of organising a poll which took that into account.

I'm 100% certain the government would prefer that unhappy people didn't get married in the first place - the issue is that there isn't that much they can do about it.

From the same Wikipedia article there was a Gallup poll from May 2010 which put the percentages at 53% against vs 44% for, but the article thinks that the overturning of Proposition 8 caused some people to change their minds.

I personally think that's valid, if you generally take your morality from religion then for a judge to make it clear that it was unconstitutional to stop gay marriage would cause some people to change their minds.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

While I'm unfamiliar with the particulars of UK law, over here it's a bit different. Every time a state collects a dollar of alimony or child support (most payments must flow from the payor to the court to the payee), the federal government pays the state. This is part of the reason such payments are often set arbitrarily high; so the state can levy interest (sometimes as much as 18%/year) on unpaid balances. So while they might not "like" it, they definitely have a vested financial interest in maintaining the status quo.

If you really want to see the divorce rate plummet, abolish alimony and child support transfer payments.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who would benefit from this?