Stop ruining the lives of innocent priests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AlliFlowers, Sep 21, 2018.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If all those boys had really been molested by priests, they would have told their loving parents, who would have gone straight to the police.

Why are they waiting until they're 20 or 30 years old - sometimes older! - before they say anything.

See what I did there?

2. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Touché, and a point very nicely made.

3. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

A lot of people won't... especially non-posters. But yes, a great post - sincerely. It's sad, but true. The same thing goes for racism in America, wealth-class, etc.

You know this story is sad (read; true) when you recall a memory of your mom telling you why she won't let you eat a certain type of food. (Her "innocent" 30-year-old perp ate it).

4. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

The world in general has never taken rape as the violent crime it is. That is, until the Catholic Church and male victims.

Rape has little to do with sex, and everything to do with domination.

5. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Absolutely brilliant point you made here which unfortunately it's the sad reality we live in.
    I bet some folks won't get it and will start commenting nonsense, just wait...

6. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm still waiting for some kind of rebuttal. Since there doesn't seem to be one coming, may I recommend linking to this thread any time someone suggests "she should have reported it x number of years ago?"

7. blackfox Suspended

blackfox

Well, first of all, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yet, if you want a rebuttal (kind of), here goes: There are good Priests and there are good men. While this comeuppance has been long coming in terms of the crap men (in the cloth or not) have historically gotten away with, there are still men who shouldn't be judged by the sins of their fathers (as it were). I think there are a certain subset of men who find all of this kind of confusing, and don't know what to do. Now, you can compare that angst to what women have been subjected to socially if you'd like, but pragmatically someone needs to realize that these decent men are a resource towards equality - but like most astute men, we need guidance from women. Rebuttal done.

8. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not much of a rebuttal. More of a "please don't lump me in with these scoundrels."

I know most men are good. Heck, I'm married to a good one! My own attacker from 40 some years ago, was a complete stranger. That doesn't stop me from speaking to strange men. (And some of you are REALLY strange!)

9. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh you'll get a rebuttal. Wait for some of the cons here to call you anti-religion.

10. Populism, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Great thread.

If I had a nickel for every priest-accuser who leveled public charges decades later when the priest was a week away from being confirmed Pope, I’d have zero nickels.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet we also notice how you play this down and still imply blame towards the victim. Way to go.

BL.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Apologies.

Genuinely didn’t realize this was a safe space.

13. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Those were children. Maybe some of them did tell. It happens a lot with molestation by a family member. Denial. He / she wouldn’t do that. On the flip side, children can be convinced something happened that in reality did not. I think things are a bit more complex than you allude. All of this should be taken very seriously, and we do still have presumption of innocence, don’t we?

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And yet we have people here blaming or shaming the victim for something that should be taken seriously. As someone I talked to mentioned before, only 2% - TWO PERCENT - of all rape claims were falsely accused. That is a very damning statistic for we men to try to go all in on and blame and shame the victim. It's definitely more complex, but the other side of this definitely isn't taking it as seriously as it needs and deserves to be addressed.

Instead, what do we get? Someone like Senator Steve King of Iowa saying that "if this is taken seriously as it should, then no man could ever be up for confirmation to SCOTUS ever again."

BL.

15. Populism, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

Populism

This poster from the other thread may know a little about your Only Two Percent.

Would likewise enjoy reading the overview given by Someone BL Talked To as well.

16. darksithpro, Sep 23, 2018

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

One fatal flaw in your argument, otherwise I'd agree with you. There where multiple claims against those priests, vs 1. Also the one in question wasn't raped. Apples and Oranges...

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In which that person would agree with me, as we already have the statistics that back up that claim.

My point stands.

BL.

18. Populism, Sep 23, 2018

Populism

Then winner winner CHICKEN DINNER!

19. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

All bets off. Second accuser has come forward with a claim against Kavanaugh. This one from his freshman year at Yale. And Avanatti is suggesting there is a third.

The first accuser, Ford, was a child. She was 15. Priests are not family members.

Here come your multiple claims against Kavanaugh.

20. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Ahh man! Thanks New Yorker....

21. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

#45 and Company never will understand what you did.

22. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

Clergy is often trusted as much or even more than family. I grew up in a religious family.

I’m not at arguing there is no problem or denial by some but this post just isn’t all that clever.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2018 ---
    You'll always find those people within any controversy. Do you think our legal system is fair? Do you think lynchings help or hurt that? Do you believe in presumption of innocence? What will you do when someone points the finger at you?

23. bradl, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're not getting it. Everyone is quickly going after the clergy on issues like this, especially 20-30 years after the fact...

... but so eagerly to jump to a man's defense when it comes to SCOTUS, even though the same conditions apply. Attempted (or in some cases, outright) sexual assault, victims waiting 20-30 years to come forward.

In short, we're seeing some double standards here, where it is okay for some people, but not for women who have been assaulted (even allegedly) by SCOTUS nominees and justices.

Two words: Emmett. Tills.

And one more thing: as far as SCOTUS nominees go, please remind us of where in the US Constitution that it states that confirmation hearings are criminal proceedings.

BL.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

I hope you realize that case shows there were false allegations against him.. The victim later admitted to making things up...

Decades later, Bryant disclosed that she had fabricated part of the testimony regarding her interaction with Till, specifically the portion where she accused Till of grabbing her waist and uttering obscenities, "that part's not true," Bryant stated in a 2008

Using your arguments here and posted elsewhere, the claimed victim in this case (Bryant - a woman) should have been believed and Till should have been vilified?

I am trying to track your reasoning or maybe I misunderstood why'd you post his name as an example - as the inference has been previously made that the accuser should be believed without facts..

25. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

If I had a nickel for every victim of priest sexual abuse who was weaponized by the DNC 35 years later I would have zero nickels.