Stop with comparing processor/ram specs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cribbing, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Cribbing macrumors newbie

People need to stop comparing iPhone processor and memory specs to equivalent android specs. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They are two different things and having one phone have a higher number does not directly indicate that it is faster.

iOS does things much more efficiently than the android counterpart. Therefore, it will take a faster processor and more memory to do the same thing on an android phone.

I don't have anything against android at all. They are perfectly good phones, and some people like them. But android fans are so relentless with specs it's ridiculous.

To all you android users out there, instead of comparing raw specs on the Internet, try using the new iPhone side by side with your favorite android device and see how doing different tasks compare on the two phones. I guarantee that the iPhone is faster for all common tasks between the two devices.

Rant over. In the end, we are all entitled to our own opinions. It's awesome that we all have such amazing choices for phones these days. There is absolutely no need to be so negative to either party.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

The iPhone will never have better specs than a top of the line Android phone. I have no idea why people fail to see that. I'm pretty sure if Apple wanted the best specs, they have the money to do so.

Remember: Everyone is playing catchup to Apple sales.

3. irDigital0l Guest

A 1.2 GHz processor can still be better than a 1.9 GHz processor.

Its hardware + software.

Not just hardware.

4. articulatefool macrumors regular

I agree that using the phone's side-by-side is the best comparison; however, that is not an option in many cases. The next best thing is to compare specs.

Another good reason to use specs is to compare previous generation iPhone speed to determine the magnitude of the upgrade.

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

ya, that's like comparing horse power in cars not quarter mile time.

6. articulatefool macrumors regular

I had to rofl at this.

You must be 2 fast and 2 furious... Quarter mile time is a ridiculous assessment of a car's overall capability.

How about how many G's it can pull in a turn before it loses traction? Or how long the braking distance is? How about the compound of the brake pads and calipers and the resistance to overheating... etc...

There are many things to judge and quarter-mile vs horsepower is among the worst analogies I could ever fathom.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

So, yeah... you totally missed the point.:rolleyes:

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

Comparing hardware specs is the only thing people of limited intellect can do. They are happy in their ignorance. Please leave them alone.

9. Purant macrumors 6502

Woah there, you got very insulting for no apparent reason.

The OP made a point, I don't really agree, but it was well made and I get it and he did it without insulting anyone.

10. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Android = Java which requires more computing power than iOS in most situations.

11. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

pretty much spot on. C++/Objective C will ALWAYS be faster than Java

EDIT: I suppose I should rephrase this. It won't always be. Crappy code is crappy code, no matter what language it's written in. But as C++/Obj C is unmanaged, and Java is managed, it requires more power to run the same stuff. The tradeoff is Java is easier to code, but the iOS SDK helps a lot with that disparity

12. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I feel smart for a moment. Good to have a software engineer dad to advise in these situations haha!

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Specs aside, Apple almost always leap frogs Android in benchmarks. Safari javascript and 3D rendering.

Also Apple *may* have beaten them all to the CortexA15 punch. Granted we don't yet know exactly what A6 is...

32nm is pretty much given.
    A5X is out because that wouldn't have 2x CPU power, and would drain the batt if they cranked it high enough to.
    A5 is out because they would have to double the clocks to 1.6-1.8ghz and that wouldn't be power efficient.

A15 at ~1.2ghz is the most likely scenario with a new GPU. Or some other proprietary cooked up architecture. Going to be awhile, ifixit will,have to tear it down, and then ship off to a lab with microscopes uggggh =/

14. TC25 macrumors 68020

You are correct. I should not have said limited intellect. I should have said people who like superficial and incorrect comparisons focus on hardware specs.

15. JesalTV Guest

As long as the thing flies and doesn't crash, it's just geeks worrying about processor speeds unnecessarily.

The other 99.9% just buy the thing and marvel at it.

The only thing I'd say is that my iPhone 4 is VERY slow and it is only 2 years old. Is that good enough?

16. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Format.

or remove all the pr0n u have stored on your device. Makes it sluggish.

17. wutang61 macrumors regular

someone is butt hurt.
    horsepower to quarter mile is a good comparison.
    drag racing is a form of racing FYI. and so is circle track and road course.

that last part is especially stupid. go back to reading motor trend.

18. JesalTV Guest

:D

It's more to do with how bloated each iOS update becomes, so that you "have" to upgrade to keep up with the pace.