Stopped at The Lincoln Tunnel by PA Police

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Okay first off this is not a police bashing in anyway. I am just trying to make sense of the situtation.

Around 6:30 tonight I pull up to the toll booth at the Lincoln Tunnel and hand the black toll collector a $20 bill. He seems slow and repeats 3 times you handed me a $20. At this point I seem curious like he is delaying. I see him reach out of his way and press a button. Before I know a Port Authority Patrol car pulls right in front of my car with sirens flaring. He gets out takes a quick look at me and then looks at the back of my car.

He then gives me a shoulder nudge. Am I supposed to go? I then see him getting in his car so I assume the nudge was letting me know it's okay to go.

I have no idea what happened. I am white as ivory soap and drive a decent car. If he was checking the plate it would have been easier to check it from the front, afterall he pulled right in front of me.

Just trying to understand what triggered the toll collector to single me out?

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

Did the toll operator ever give you your change? You probably matched some demographic of someone they were looking for and the toll operator was just playing it safe.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Did you think it to be a racially motivated incident from the beginning? Somehow I don't think that would be the case. You might have been the 256th "ivory soap" white guy in a nice car he saw that day for all we know. Is there a possibility they do random things like that as part of regular security?

4. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Okay - so how much was the toll? I don't know how they operate, but are there certain booths that require the exact amount? Maybe this guy was tired of getting $20's all day from everyone and had to keep replenishing his change bucket.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The guy probably couldn't find the currency pen sitting on the counter, or he really didn't like the music playing in your car.

Or you had a donut coupon sitting on the front seat. ;)

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes as soon as I received my $14 change the cops pulled up.

It's possible, but I doubt it. The toll collector seemed very nervous.

Maybe not far off. I had the new Radiohead CD playing. Best answer so far! Thanks.

7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I think the demographic idea was probably right. The toll collector may have been purposely stalling you so the cop could be alerted.

weird, but I can't say I haven't seen stranger things...

8. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

I was a little nervous from reading on Digg about all the people getting "Tased" lately.

I was about to say "Don't tase me bro!" lol

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

There was a police checkpoint in my town last week, which was very odd since it was about 3:00pm on a monday. I live in a small Connecticut town with no crime. They were actually stopping all sorts of people.

I got stopped and had to pull off the road. They made me get out of my car while they asked for my license and registration. Then they said I was ok. Maybe it was because I was 17 and driving my moms $50,000 car but who knows.

Many many many cops seem to be jerks, but I have to give them credit for doing what they do.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

So let me get this straight...you don't like to be racially profiled? From your OP, I gathered that race played a part in your train of thought. You mentioned that the tollbooth operator is black, and that you are "ivory soap white." Why does this matter?

It seems to me that you might have looked like a suspect who's on the lamb. I doubt it was racially motivated.

I suggest you forget about it and move on. :)

11. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree from an outsider's point of view that this was a demographic or routine checkpoint, however I believe this to be not true in my case. The toll collector was way to nervous and the delay he made wouldn't have been necessary.

Okay. First off I am not a racist of anykind. The toll collector's race is irrevalant, however I mentioned race in my orinigal post perhaps thinking that he singled me out because I am white. That is wrong and I apologize. As far as I can tell this is not a race issue. I guess I mentioned that the toll collector was black because that was the most "salient" thing at the time.

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Probably a bulletin was out for someone of your discription - The tolls are an easy way of nabbing suspects. The patrol car most likely ran your plate quickly (with the in car laptops, they can get this stuff instantly) and saw it didn't match what they were looking for, thus letting you go.

You'd be surprised how often your plates will get run, just for various reasons. Often times, the above scenario is the typical case. The Mass State Police for example, will often radio in to their dispatcher and ask for a plate run while trailing someone - only if the person has any outstanding warrants, tickets, etc - will they then decide to pull the said vehicle over....

In essence, it's often a crap shoot with these sort of things. :rolleyes:

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't think this was a demographic-based checkpoint. He simply had to wait until the police arrived, as he doesn't have the legal authority (or physical force) to stop you. I think there must have been a "wanted" poster on his board, and he confused you for said person. Or, your car might have matched the description. If it's a common car, that's very easily possible.

I don't think you are racist. I just found it interesting that you factored race into your OP. I personally don't think it was racially motivated. Like I said, I think you happen to look like a possible fugitive/criminal suspect. As long as no one tased, beat, or took anything from you, I'd move on. :)

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

There could of been a bulletin out for some arm and dangerous person who was your same race and sex along with drove a car a lot like yours. So he was scared you would hurt him when he called the police. The police come and check to make sure you are not the person they are looking for and your plates do not match up.

That seems to be the most likely story. So yes your race factor in but because it happen to be the same one that fit person they where looking for not because of racial profiling

15. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Okay thanks for all of your postings.

A few comments:

1) When you are at the toll booth at the Lincoln Tunnel you are so close to it that the toll booth collector really can't see what type of car you are driving.

2) The port authority police don't need to be called, they are right there. The toll collector pressed a button to alert them as to what toll there is a situation. It is pretty immediate.

I will forget about it and appreciate all of your responses!

16. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Just a note, he probably checked the back liscense plate to see if your tags were current...

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no but they can see your race and what color car you are driving. It only has to be a general description.
    For example, White car driven by a white male mid-late 20's.

Then he delayed you by not giving you change long enough for the cops to get over to where you are.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

sorry, but I haven't any advice for you but find it hilarious that you said you were white as ivory and drove a decent car therefore you were confused why you'd even be profiled or at least stopped. You do know that white people who drive decent cars break the law too? It's sad to see people like you who believe the color of their skin excludes them from any sort of suspicion. Ah well at least you're not in jail with those people with darker than ivory skin and crappy cars.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think the real crime here is 6 bucks to enter a freakin tunnel :eek::D

20. CybrMike macrumors member

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think that's what you meant:p:D

Seriously though, I don't see any racial motivation.

And...even if I did, I'd think that a white male would be last in line to complain about it. ;)

22. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

ok this kind of is OT.

I cnat stand cops. Not real cops mind you but the cops who have nothing to do in my crimeless town but harass people and talk down to anyone under the age of 30. herea re some reasons a i the cops in my town. I was once ina fender bender (my fault) however when i left my car to make sure everyone was ok the man driving said vehicle began yelling at me. all i di after the accident was to immediately stop apologize and make everything right (insurance etc) noone was hurt...yet. the guy started swinging at me i was 17 and this dude had a couple inches on me and he punched me in the face about 5 times. the cops show up and when i tell them what happen they immediatly blow me off and will not address the case of asault on a minor and road rage even though i am obviously bruised and every time i try and tell the cop this he ignores me even when my parents try to tell him. he never acted until a women drove up and said that her husband was o the way to work and witnessed ti and wanted to make sure that the police knew that the uy came after me. she ahnded him the celphone and onyl then did he allow the thought to enter his mind that i wasnt some lying little punk.

WOrse and more recently my friend lost control of his car and hit a tree (neither of us were drinking). i shattered my femur in the accident and dragged my self from the car. luckily some bystanders came over and pulled mw away form the car before it burst into flames. after the fire department shows up. about 20 minutes later the cop shows up im laying on the ground writhing pain. he walks over and stares at me with this "damn kids" look on his face i plead with him to call an ambulance and tell him my leg is broken instead of callign an ambulance, informing me one is on the way or trying to help in any way he asks me if i had been drinking (keep in mind im the passenger and my leg is broken) i say no he continues to badger me, dont argue much considering i was about to black out. he finally just walks away never helping or calling anyone to help. finally an ambulance arrives but it was called by the people who helped me not the cops. to protect and serve my ass

23. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Meh - it's their job, even in your town. I suppose while it's annoying, you can't blame them at all.

Sure some cops are a**holes, but so are many farmers. Or gynecologists. Being a jerk, it's not limited to any one profession.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well...maybe lawyers:p:D

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bet that after looking at what they look at all day, gynecologists do a lot of jerking :D