Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Let me say to start that in no way do I blame any particular software or hardware failure; or for that matter my own failure.

My setup was as follows :- nMP with C1 referenced to Library on Caldigit T3 via TB, backed up using CCC to 2TB WD Green via eSATA.. My whole system then backed up to 4TB (2x4TB raid) Time Machine via eSATA.

The Time machine is stored in the next room and the library backup in a cupboard 6m from my desk.

I think that most people would accept this as a reasonable backup solution but I accept that it could have been better if cost was not an issue.

OK, this is what has happened.

Something in the T3 started to go wrong about two months ago (deduced from dates of images affected etc.). Images on the T3 began to open like this in Preview
_NIK2000_zpsvepmpctr.jpg

You can see the line, obviously. On seeing this the first time (not this image) as it was not part of my C1 library I assumed that it was a one off - no other image in that file being affected AND no bad images appearing in C1 itself. Not all my stuff is in C1..

Some time passed and as my usage was quite low throughout that time it was a while before I noticed another corrupted image. The alarm bells+panic occurred yesterday when I had cause to view a file of images not looked at for a very long time.

To my horror more than 50% of the images were corrupted some to the degree whereby well over 75% of the image was gone!

I apologise for not showing them but I am taking a timeout to write this in the middle of trying to retrieve all I can - bit stressed and opening files just to look just seems to be making it worse.

You would think that the TM and CCC backups would be the solution.

More gloom. At about the time of the degeneration (cause or not I don't know) I changed HDDs to the WD Green and the TM drives to similar. During this process I checked images as the process proceeded to ensure all was well. Those images I checked were fine and the file sizes remained constant.

That all meant that the CCC & TM backups both started from scratch at about the time the images began to be corrupted. Each subsequent backup merely transferred the failure unchecked over the next two months.

I now have a T3, corrupted. A CCC clone corrupted. A TM corrupted.

I cannot lay out money on this, the T3 is out of warranty and I have discovered an inherent weakness in the referenced filling method.

The thumbnails do not change when the originals are slowly going "phutt"!!!!
Unless the thumbnails (previews) are regenerated C1 (any referenced system I assume) will not show the problem until a bad image is opened......

Any way to end.....

Approximate % of images lost 20-25 from a collection in total of 1.5 TB......

I must admit that I would not have set up this way if I was still working and am grateful that the number of personally affecting images damaged is low. But. Coincidence, operating slackness and just plain bad luck can be a killing group to come up against.

Really p****d off and kn*****ed. Will leave this mess 'till tomorrow.:(:confused::mad::(:confused::mad:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm no expert, but to me a TM and CCC (which is all I have) would seem like enough on top of the internal drive of course.
I've no words to help you restore these images, but hopefully others might.
All I can say is we can all empathise with your predicament.
I have quite a bit of my stuff on Flickr as well, but of course they are not original files.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I am a bit of a 'backup' freak myself......I don't even delete photos from CF/SD cards, I just buy another one.
The only time I've seen a line like that is a couple of months ago when my Apple Display had a line right across and I had to replace it.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sorry to hear, frustrating as...

But I'm not sure I understand why the TM backup, even if it was started around the time the T3 corruption started, ended up not being able to recover the files from. It should have originally taken a single, full backup (which would have had the initial corruption in it due to time coincidence). Subsequent TM backups should not have had cause to re-write the increasingly-corrupted T3 files unless it was seeing those files as changed since the last backup?

If however you had CCC essentially re-writing ITS backup each time then I guess TM would have seen the CCC-written files as changing and propagated the increasing corruption into the latest TM Backup BUT TM should have kept previous versions of those image files (and chewed a bunch of time and disk space doing so), unless the TM drive ran out of space???

If you go into TM and right to the original backup it took is the corruption there on 20-25%? If so then I would conclude that the corruption maybe wasn't creeping but sudden and severe.

<puzzled>

I take archives (currently 4), of my image collection on separate USB drives then physically separate them and don't need them to be updated so they just sit as disaster recovery options. TM backups of the actively modified drive in another two separate locations handle the more immediate needs.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Thank you for your replies.
The following is what I have posted on other sites after bit more investigation.
Again, I AM NO EXPERT but?

Hello, This is a from someone not technically savvy enough to explain it in exact terms; aimed at anyone with the following combination of software on their MAC computer (I do not know about Windows)

MAC /Intel computer - Yosemite 10.10.3 - Photoshop CS5 (possibly above) - Capture 1 Pro (8.3-8.3.0.52)

Corruption of all images in your library seems to be possible.

Don't ask me how. All I can tell you is mine (15%) until stopped by not using anything related to my images and disconnecting my hard drives (all). I have contacted Phase 1 but not Apple so far and another website I use.

This warning is because I have found one (1) other user with the same problem who has an identical set up as me.

The corruption in my case have been backed up to both my CCC HD and my TM HD so I can (maybe) retrieve undamaged images later. Unless you check visually every (original) image you will not see it. Previews in C1 do not show the corruption until the preview is re-done or original opened for work or in another editor.

Trying not to start a panic but as mine is such a mess thought best to raise the subject.

If I am wrong my humble apologies. If not someone will find it pretty soon.

Good luck. Please check your libraries carefully

Regards
Sharkey

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Sorry to hear, frustrating as...

But I'm not sure I understand why the TM backup, even if it was started around the time the T3 corruption started, ended up not being able to recover the files from. It should have originally taken a single, full backup (which would have had the initial corruption in it due to time coincidence). Subsequent TM backups should not have had cause to re-write the increasingly-corrupted T3 files unless it was seeing those files as changed since the last backup?

If however you had CCC essentially re-writing ITS backup each time then I guess TM would have seen the CCC-written files as changing and propagated the increasing corruption into the latest TM Backup BUT TM should have kept previous versions of those image files (and chewed a bunch of time and disk space doing so), unless the TM drive ran out of space???

If you go into TM and right to the original backup it took is the corruption there on 20-25%? If so then I would conclude that the corruption maybe wasn't creeping but sudden and severe.

<puzzled>

I take archives (currently 4), of my image collection on separate USB drives then physically separate them and don't need them to be updated so they just sit as disaster recovery options. TM backups of the actively modified drive in another two separate locations handle the more immediate needs.

I will PM you.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
That second post is less information than you originally posted in this thread.

Did you check your original TM backup as I suggested?

If the corruption occurred on images that hadnt been looked at then that should rule out both Photoshop and C1 and leave you with the hardware, file system and the backup software as the only things touching those files and suspect.

Last edited:

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
OK. Update.
Three visually different forms of corruption present in my Libraries.
1/ white line - cured (hopefully) with the help of PhaseOne. Action taken - turned off CL, updated D800 firmware and create previews from RAW during import so that in future RAW image errors will show in previews (not using camera jpg).

2/ half (approx) of image affected is blacked out - no reason for this found yet.
3/ stripe made of zigzag colours on affected images - no reason found yet.

It looks like whatever caused 2&3 is beyond most people I have contacted so unless I can get a definitive action/reaction that is obvious in the future I will just have to live with some duff images in the library.

BIG SHOUT OUT FOR "SIMONSI" for his cool backup on this.

Regards

Sharkey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.