Storage Help! I can't fine 130Gb of hidden movies files on my Mac!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SJSwains, Jul 15, 2013.

1. SJSwains macrumors newbie

My MacBookPro has 500Gb of storage and I only have 60Gb free, so I'm trying to get rid of a load of video files to free up some storage. I have two external hard drives. One for a back up and one to store all my video files. I do a lot of video editing and I tend to work from one of the external drives, so I don't use up too much memory on my Mac.

I've deleted all the movie files on my laptop that I don't need. I should only have about 25Gb's worth. However my storage is saying that I have over 130Gb of videos still on my system.

I've checked my iTunes and deleted all those, but I wonder if there is a back up folder that I don't know about that is hoarding my old video files. I use Adobe Premiere Pro and used to use Final Cut Express.

If anyone knows of a rookie error I'm making and can help I'd be immensely grateful.

Thank you.

Sam

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

How did you get all your videos into iTunes? If you moved them from another folder and have "keep my media organized" option checked in iTunes then yes, there will be multiple copies on your drive.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

This happens to me using iMovie. Search "clip .mov" in finder usually works for me (gets me results like clip-2009-09-03----.mov"). I once found 80gb of video I thought I deleted!

However since you use a different editing program the videos might import differently. Just an idea though!

Edit: Remember these are your raw video files. Deleting them deletes them forever.

4. SJSwains thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the clip.mov advice. I did find a load of video files that must've been tucked away by Final Cut when I used to use it.

Videos get automatically copied to my iTunes when I play them sometimes, which is why they end up there. Need to change the default player.

I still have almost 200Gb of "other files" though. Any experience of finding out what they are and getting rid of them?

Thanks so much for replying.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

6. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

If you have exhausted all options given by other members, there is one final brute way of dealing with this, to do a clean installation of your OS.

After having all your files on your external hard drive and yet having 200GB of ghost files, is a big deal.

If you think those 200GB of data is not worth your time trying to figure out how to and where to find them, I strongly suggest a HDD wipe out.

7. TRAV9614, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  8. SJSwains thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your help. I downloaded Omnidiskweeper and that did the trick. Adobe Premiere Pro stores loads of cache files that aren't needed once the project is complete. This was what the 200GB was made up off.
    All gone now and back to a speedy and happy Mac.:)

Thank you for the posts.

9. Donnyjr macrumors newbie

ref* Storage Help! I can't fine 130Gb of hidden movies files on my Mac!

deleted media such as wmv avi etc. can have copies in different location. I think the problem tho is in compressed restore points or appdata . try looking for app data with the user name and ending something like this * mediafile 3867254 * . Back up copies of files are made for system restore points and some times compressed and tucked away with a different label on them and may be very hard to find. Be careful not to delete drivers that look like the media number label i just told you of .

Good luck to you.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the thread? The OP's issue was resolved 3 months ago, and it had nothing to do with any of the items you mentioned.