Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Govols247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
irvine,ky
Hello, I have an iPhone 5c, and I'm having a problem with storage; I currently have around 80 mb's available, the problem is, when I go into settings the app that is taking up the most space is my messages, with 260 mb. What can I do to free up space? I've
Deleted emails, notes, pictures, and everything but I still have no storage. According to my settings menu, I've only used around 1 gig, but up top it says "4.9 used"
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You didn't mention what size 5c you have, but it appears that it may be an 8 GB model which doesn't have much room for apps after the space taken up by the operating system. Also, which version of iOS are you running?

Govols247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
irvine,ky
You didn't mention what size 5c you have, but it appears that it may be an 8 GB model which doesn't have much room for apps after the space taken up by the operating system. Also, which version of iOS are you running?
Yeah, it's an 8, I'm using 9.3

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah, it's an 8, I'm using 9.3

You probably only have around 4 to 5 GB usable space on that phone and you have to consider the space taken up by the data that the apps you're using create. About the only suggestion I have is if possible, remove what apps you can do without. You can always sync your messages to your Mac or PC instead of storing them on the phone. Might be time to consider a new phone if you can afford it. Make sure you get one with enough storage space. ;)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Delete your messages.
They should be purged once a week at the most. Don't be saving that stuff on your phone. Bad habit.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
OP this should help you. It will clear away the temporary files -

Have a try with this tip: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-survival-tip-on-16gb-iphone-ipad.1968986/

Reclaimed 2.8GB storage for me and I'm very interested about if it will work on your side too. :)

There's also a video about it on this thread -
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/simple-trick-to-free-up-storage.1967325/

Also, if you don't want to delete your messages, you can consider deleting the media on your iMessage. You can always have them backed up before deleting. Just go to iMessage, select a contact, then tap on Details, and scroll down to Attachments. Delete the pictures and videos in the attachments.

zivd

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2016
have you tired to use a USB iflash drive and transfer all your data to your computer or external hard drive?
it's simple and easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.