storage space is totally used up by "OTHER." Can someone help me free up this space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingMo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. KingMo macrumors member

I am constantly being prompted to free up disk space, but there isn't much on my laptop. When I checked, almost all of my storage space is taken up by OTHER (44.49GB to be exact). I have NO IDEA where this came from. Can someone help me free this space please? Or at least to find the problem...

Here is a screen shot:
    Screen Shot 2012-01-01 at 12.46.05 AM.png

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For space issues, there are a few things you can try:
    • Begin by restarting your computer as a first step. This sometimes resolves issues.
    • Search with Finder to see if the space is being consumed by a very large file or several large files. Adjust the 50GB in the illustration to whatever size you deem appropriate.
      [​IMG]
    • For Time Machine users on Lion, Time Machine local snapshots may be consuming space.
    • Use DiskInventory X (pre-Lion), OmniDiskSweeper, JDisk Report or GrandPerspective to see how space is being used on your drive. Some of these apps may show more detail than others, so try several.
    r

3. KingMo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for the tips. I have done what you said. The only thing that worked was downloading OmniDiskSweeper, where I cleared some files from the Recovered Emails folder. Below is the new screenshot. Is this normal or should it be even less?

Screen Shot 2012-01-01 at 1.23.40 AM.png

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no "normal". It really depends on what you have stored on your Mac, which varies greatly from one user to another.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Alright, someone clue me in. How did the OP get that screen?
    It says "About this Mac" but I can't get it, just the usual smaller screen.:confused:

6. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Click; More info & you'll see "storage" (that's on Lion) You were on the right path.

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

U need to be on OS X Lion to get your "About This Mac" to look like that.