Storage space + the cloud... am I missing something?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Sep 10, 2013.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I currently have a 16GB 4S and would like to upgrade when the new iPhones come out in a few days. My issue is deciding on the storage capacity, of which I had dearly hoped Apple would raise, but alas, they didn't. Searching frantically across the web to find some arguments on Apple's side, numerous sources indicate that Apple is hoping to push people to use iCloud and such. Now, I've been with Apple for 8.5 years now, and been on the iPhone train since 2008. I feel I'm pretty savvy with the Apple sub-culture, but I'm completely baffled by this concept of using iCloud for iPhone storage. Here's my dilemma...

Apps and music are surely what occupy the space on my iPhone; about 6GB of music and 2.5GB of apps... which I suppose seem like normal amounts. Then with the OS installed and ~500 photos on the phone, I'm near full capacity. So naturally I wanted to get a 32GB version.

So overall, my question is... how can the music/apps/photos be stored in the cloud for practical usage purposes? I know I can backup in iCloud as well as sync between devices with the cloud, but I'm at a loss as to how iCloud can help conserve storage

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

iTunes Match for music. There's 6gb back instantly.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

But then how do I play music from my phone in my car and what not?

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

iTunes Match basically allows you to access all of your music from the cloud. So if you have 80GB of music, you can just store 15 or 20 on the phone and still have access to the rest. I'm on a 16GB 4S, so I know the storage crush pain.

All that iCloud stuff is fine, but it doesn't help quite as much in one important place: videos. If you travel somewhere and want to take a few videos, you can't unload them to Photostream or iCloud when you find wifi. I think I gauged 30 minutes of 1080p video using 4GB. I used my phone to record my nephew opening presents at his birthday. Because of the storage limitations, this year I just did photos and a video of the cake stuff.

iCloud is great, but it's not everything. I don't think Apple is creating some false ceiling on storage to push people there. I mean iCloud maintenance has to cost more than creating a 128GB iPhone. I'm guessing its not financially viable yet, especially if the phone design only allows for half the flash of the iPad.

Note to Apple if the iPhone 6 is larger: make room for more flash.