Store iTunes music on NAS

rctneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Hey,

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with a 500Gb disk but due to my music library, I'm getting very low on space.

What I want to do is the following:

Move my music files onto my home NAS. When I'm on my local network, iTunes notices and plays the music from the local network. When I'm away from home, iTunes notices and streams the music from iTunes in the Cloud.

Is this possible? If I just move my music to the NAS then iTunes will complain it's missing etc. Basically, I just want iTunes to check if the local versions are available and if so then use them otherwise fall back to streaming via iTunes in the Cloud.

I have Adobe Lightroom set up like this for my photo library. If I'm at home, Lightroom uses the real full-size photos on the NAS. If I'm away then it uses the small previews stored locally. They are nowhere near high quality and I can't edit them but it allows me to view what they are.

Any ideas?

How do other people deal with this issue?

Thanks,
Neil

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Ideally, you'd have iTunes Server enabled on your NAS, then it would appear in iTunes like so: (Attached)

When your away from home you'd have the same music in iCloud, since you would have Apple music enabled.

This would be your own music, not DRM as it won't play on NAS.

i.e after enabling music server, it create /Multimedia share.... Your music goes into this folder for iTunes to see it. Chances are there would already be a few sample tracks there to test it

Attachments

Last edited:

rctneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
Many thanks.

My NAS is a custom build with Unraid as the OS. I've found a plugin called forked-daap (http://ejurgensen.github.io/forked-daapd) which looks like it may do the trick.

I'll have a play about with it this evening.

Just a note, I only use iTunes Match and not Apple Music. The iTunes Match payment allows me to use iTunes in the Cloud but I don't need Apple Music.

I'm assuming that I can just move my "iTunes/Music" folder over to the specified location on the server and it should all show up as part of the iTunes Server library and then all the music shown locally will then just be streamable?

If I have a new song I want to add. I can drag it into iTunes but i'm assuming i'll have to add it once to the local library for iTunes to sync the cloud as part of iTunes Match and once to the iTunes Server on the NAS?

Thanks,
Neil

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Yes,, add to both iTunes library and local on NAS for iTunes (or whatever client your using) to pick it up..
looks like it also does remote access, whichever is better