Store owner attacks shoplifting teen with hammer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 10, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

First of all, what kind of name is "Bunkless Bovian"!?!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0710200...yn_bodega_owner_gets_5_years_in_pr_178608.htm

http://www.ny1.com/Content/Top_Stor...five-years-in-prison-for-assault/Default.aspx

I think that, although not the correct way to deal with a shoplifter, the store owner's actions were partially justified. He should not have to serve five years in prision for smashing a thug/theif teen's skull into pieces.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's amazing that we now live in a country where criminals get more sympathy than their victims.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here is a bit more in depth article
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...li_owner_points_to_recent_bodega_murders.html

It's too bad he is going to prison. Given the article Ahmed woke up to his nephew calling out for help. His nephew was being attacked by Bunkless Bovian and a few other teens. Ahmed used the hammer to defend his nephew.

I guess the jury felt he should have waited five or ten minutes for the police to arrive while his nephew got the tar kicked out of him. The jury members should each get five years for this. While the Judge and DA should lose their appointments and go to jail for ever allowing this to go to trial.

5. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

You could switch country for world, and you still would be correct...

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I think that's the worst part. I think two eyes for an eye should be socially acceptable. Just think about it; that kid who shoplifted would have probably done it again if he received a small fine. Now that he can barely form sentences, do you think he's going to do that again? Nope.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

So bashing a teen's head in for trying to steal something is justifiable? I'm sorry, that just doesn't sound right to me. I do agree that a lot of crimes should be punished more harshly (especially here in Norway), but not anything close to that extent.

EDIT: Just read the in-depth stuff. That's just messed up. :(

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The article says he's only been indicted, not yet convicted. One can only hope the jury will do the right thing and let him go. I'm not up to speed on how self-defense works in NY. One needs to remember, however, that the police are not there to protect you, but to clean up the mess afterwards.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Bovian and two of his pals started punching the store clerk on April 13, 2008, after the worker made a joke about his attacker's mom, witnesses said during the trial.

I'd love to hear this joke.

10. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9g6hzYdYo

Well, this did happen in Brownsville, Brooklyn so the first joke would make sense, I guess.

11. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

You live in a dream world you know that? I agree the guy was just defending his nephew, I probably would have done the same, but you think a shoplifting teenager deserves to be brain damaged for the rest of his life? How old are you?

12. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

No he definitely doesn't deserve that, but we're just in a situation where the actual victim has to say "I'm sorry", and that can't be right...

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The deli owner is NOT the victim. Nothing was taken from his store. His nephew got into a fight with some teenagers, that is all. Hitting a random teenager over the head with a hammer is not self-defence.

14. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

You think that's air you're breathing?

I'm four and a half. Just like I said before, I think two eyes for an eye is okay.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What does that actually mean, if anything?

16. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

It actually means something, unlike 95% of my posts on this forum. :p It means if person A stole an iPhone from person B I think it would be okay for person B to take person A's tricked out Mac Pro.

Just like if Person A stole a snickers bar from person B I think it would be okay for person B to forever incapacitate person A. Well, maybe not forever incapacitate.

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You're really keen on material items.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I bet that punk will think twice about stealing again..

I find it amazing that people defend the crook and not stand up for the person protecting their property.
    The perp went all in all. Unfortunately his bluff was called and guess what the store owner had a better hand than the perp.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Totally Disproportionate Vigilantism Rools.

Nothing was stolen.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You should have quoted the rest of his post. I didn't understand any of it, to be honest. :eek:

I don't think it was wrong to hit those "thugs" if they were assaulting his nephew and attempting to rob the store. I also do not believe that you should have to wait for those kids to start beating your nephew violently before taking action.

However, perhaps he could have tried scaring/threatening those guys first rather than hitting one of the guys in the head immediately. Another option would have been to hit him somewhere else. Hits to the skull could be fatal, and the uncle, as good as his intentions were, should have known that. :eek:

But no, I wouldn't have let my nephew get beat by those guys. If it escalated to the point where you have to hit the guy in the skull with the hammer, then so be it.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If I read the article correctly 3 punks vs 1 store clerk.
    hmmmm

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

By all accounts they were not trying to rob the store, and according to witnesses the nephew made some ill-advised remark about their mothers which set them off in the first place.

23. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Have any of you banging on about how this is an affront to liberty and so on ever heard of a proportional response? It means that when someone's having a relatively minor fight in your shop, you break up the fight. You don't hit them over the head with a hammer. Much in the same way that if someone's being noisy outside your house, you don't fetch an AK-47 and let rip. If anything, five years is far too lenient.

24. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Don't be silly, Spaceboots is right. If someone tries to steal a snickers off you, it is perfectly justifiable to smash them on the head with a hammer. Two eyes for one eye. :rolleyes:

25. winterspan macrumors 65816

Sorry, but "self defense" means defense of "SELF", not defense of products in your store. If this was a case of a simple teen shoplifter who's skull was shattered with a hammer, of COURSE the moron should go to jail for years! And the shoplifter should get charged as well!

How can anyone disagree? I am a strong advocate for harsh criminal penalties, *particularly* for violent individuals who commit battery, rape, manslaughter, murder, etc. Violence is rarely the answer to a situation.

At the same time, I respect someone's right to self-defense and defense of others. I also support the so-called 'castle doctrine', and believe that someone's home is their place of safety, and they have every right to shoot an invader/burglar. In this era of routine home invasion murder and rape, you should not hesitate to protect your family.

Property on the other hand is totally different. You cannot shoot someone because they stole your bicycle. Likewise, no one can reasonably argue that petty shoplifting deserves a freakin' hammer to the skull. That is outrageous. This is not sharia law.