store pickup of pre-order

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulold, Sep 13, 2012.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

My friend is moving to NYC around the 21st. He thinks it's better to pre-order the iPhone 5 by doing the store pickup instead of having it shipped to him. Say he pre-orders tonight using one of the Apple Stores in Manhattan and he manages to get in with the first batch of pre-orders. Does he have to pick up the phone on the 21st or could he wait until the following Monday? Will they hold pre-orders in the store and not sell them to the folks waiting in line? Is it an actual pre-order or more like a reservation, first-come, first-serve?

2. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

3. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Maybe not with AT&T. That's how they work in Canada, eh?

4. trixnrice macrumors member

reserving and pre ordering online are two different things. i skipped the iphone 4s release, but with the iphone 4 and and 3g i was able to reserve and pick up online and then pick up the following week when they released in store. various websites are saying the ip5 will be offered in 45 minutes both ways and i tend to agree because apple has done it in the past.

5. username008 macrumors regular

Hoping they do instore pick up!!

6. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I def wish they would do in store pick up. I hate waiting for it in the mail.

7. dranakin macrumors 6502

I did it at my local Apple store 2 years ago for the 4. Dunno if it has changed.

8. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I waited in a line for hours to get my reserved iPhone 4. My brother decided to have it mailed to him. He was sending me picture of his the day before it came out. Ill just wait for it in the mail.

9. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

It has changed since the 4s launch.

10. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI - I just preordered my phone and saw that I could have chosen the option of picking up the phone at an Apple Store starting 9/21. But alas, my friend is asleep and missed out.