Stores Sold out of AT&T and not Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mattstkc, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I was in line for over 3 hours and ended up finding out right when I got to the front that all 3G AT&T models were out and most WIFI (only 64GB left) but ALL Verizon models black and white were in stock.

It was at Skokie, IL store, about 300 people in the line, and I got a ticket, but they said of course it didn't guarantee configuration, just a "device".

Question is has anyone else seen AT&T 3G iPads selling out while Verizon's are still in stock?

I went home empty handed but will return early AM and wait for the Saturday shipment the store said "should ;)" be there

2. Donald V macrumors newbie

I wanted the 32GB 3G verizon iPad but they only had the ATT configuration. So I got that one. I was around #40 in line.

Donald

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Cause all the resellers are. Buying up AT&T and shipping them out of the country. Look at my resellers are scumbags thread it's absurd.

4. shen macrumors 6502

can't be true, everyone who has read an Apple forum in the last four years knows that Verizon is the true god of wireless and Apple ruined everything by going with AT&T. That is why there are already more Verizon iPhones than AT&T. Clearly you were lied to. AT&T is trying to create hype.

Also, the Verizon cell phone signal cures cancer, and is the only thing known to have to power to defeat Chuck Norris.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Wifi only left at Westfarms, and there's a huge line for those.

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Yup. Jacksonville FL Apple store. I was about 100 in line and I got the last 32GB Black AT&T 3G model. I was pretty surprised. The guy had plenty of Verizon models it seemed. I prefer Verizons network and I have them for my iPhone but the areas I'd be using the iPad actually has good AT&T so I went for speed. Plus I'm going to get a 4G mifi.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Tampa store ran out of AT&T models when I checked in around 8. The Brandon store ran out of all 18 models. :(

8. Saberj macrumors regular

Fixed.

9. random person macrumors 6502a

Yes, same here. In line in Boston and ALL AT&T was sold out after four hours in line. Got the verizon instead -- just how much slower is it is the question?

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

ATT versions sold out in about 45 minutes. If they have the Verizon version when I get in the store I'll go for that instead.

11. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Nothing can defeat Chuck Norris.

It is a known fact AT&T has way faster data when in 3G coverage area, so in a Data only device it would be the logical choice

12. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

The BestBuy we went to (Arrowhead, Peoria/AZ) only got 5 Verizon iPad 2's total... out of probably 150 iPad 2's. We were surprised. There were WAY more ATT iPads.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

There were 5 people n front of me when they reported all ATT 3G were sold!

Arrgh!

14. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

In Tucson they ran out of ATT models first, around 5:45. It looked there were a fair amount of Verizons left, and more wifi than Verizons.

15. Munitalp macrumors 65816

As much as everyone appears to complain about ATT they are still the popular iPhone / iPad carrier...

16. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I'm hitting every Apple store in the Chicagoland area starting with the closest within an hour of open hoping they get a Saturday shipment. Will wait it out at the closest (skokie, il) at about 7 til they open. Don't see Apple leaving stores without half the models in such a major area for the whole weekend.

Fingers crossed!

17. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I still don't understand how some of you are settling for the model you didn't want just to get one. You know you can order online. I just can't see spending money,no matter what the cost, on something that isn't quite what I wanted. If I wanted a AT&T 64 then that's what I'd get. I wouldn't purchase a 32 just because that's all they had left.
    That's me. I hope all of you enjoy your new iPad. Awesome devices. :D

18. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I'm not ordering online because I'm taking a trip next week and figure I can get my hands on one by Wednesday when I leave. It is now my weekend mission.

But I agree I wouldn't settle at all. I've known what model I wanted for months so I'm going to get it whatever it takes.

19. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I went to an Apple retail store and was number 29 in line. I think the store only had about 15 units with about 3 in each flavor. Of course I didn't get one, but I did get a cheesy pen with an Apple logo on it, and a Mac Forever T-shirt.

Also they were allowing you to pay for one then and when their orders come in next week they will call you when one that you ordered arrives. If you find one elsewhere you can cancel your order and get your money back. This is a lot faster to me than waiting 2 to 3 weeks for an online order.

I went to Best Buy later and they still had some but only the Verizon models.

20. AppleMc macrumors newbie

I settled, got white 16GB Verizon instead of a black AT&T. It was the last one. The white is super cute but the two Verizon bars... not cute. May be returning it.

21. Mattstkc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I thought about doing that just to have one and returning it when they had what I wanted, but I would be too paranoid to somehow damage or scratch the thing and make it unreturnable.

22. rx4success2012 macrumors newbie

23. ozred macrumors 6502

AT&T has provided the best 3G service I've experienced. And due to all the phones I have had, I've also been a Verizon customer for just as many years. Verizon's not bad at all, just not as good as AT&T. Also Verizon's more like Apple since they're greedy & expensive.

Today there was a good supply at the various stores and my manager friend said most of our local AT&T stores expect more iPads tomorrow.

24. Dstew419 macrumors newbie

I was 18 (well at the start until a group of Asian study buddies somehow grew from 4 to 8!!). By the 4:45 I was able to select a 3G AT&T version, but when they went to retrieve it I was told that the AT&T versions were sold out, so I settled for the Verizon version. This launch was a total fail for the consumer!!!

25. ssspinball macrumors 6502

In Milwaukee they ran out of ALL AT&T models first, followed by all WiFi. Only Verizon was left, and I had to pass on that. :(