Stories of Liberty City Confirmed for PS3/PC March 30th.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Jan 29, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Liberty City Stories actually sold far worse than expected, not sure Microsoft got much value from the timed exclusive to be honest.

Having bought, played it, I couldn't get into it & traded it in a week later.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I'd rather get this on the Xbox still, just because that's where my GTAIV is and it all feels so... homely(?) now. PS3 aside I'm surprised as hell that it took this long to get it on the PC. Still not finished the original GTAIV yet. Just can't bring myself to finish it :eek:.

4. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Lost of the Damned doesnt really intrest me but gay tony looks alot beter and i hear its much beter to.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Lost and Damned is far superior to vanilla GTA IV. The weapons alone make for a fun time.

Think I might dip into this on the PC. I have been messing around with my $5 Steam copy of GTA IV and it feels so much better on a nice system, not choppy and 'ugh' like on the 360/PStriple.

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Meh. I may consider it if I ever complete the main game, run out of things to do there, and actually still have an interest to play it.

In other words, never.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell come on down...you are the next contestant on "the price is right...for timed exclusives"

MS really need to get their heads out of its bum and start building up those 1st party...Their exclusive line up is running thin.

Bless

8. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    At least the multiplatform games are USUALLY better on the 360, ESPECIALLY if online gaming comes into play.

But I do agree, Id rather have exclusives than multiplatform games. More reason to purchase more hardware!

9. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    :cool:

I love F*king with others quotes

10. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Let's be honest here, this is far from just a problem for MS. The non-first party exclusive is a thing of the past for all consoles. It makes perfect sense though. With development costs as high as they are, and rising, game companies need to make as much money as they can. Eventually, we will end up with first party games as the only exclusives on their respective platfoms, and that's fine with me.

*EDIT*

I forgot to add, both expansions for GTA IV were great. They both were very interesting, and if you cared about the story from the main game, they filled in some very interesting plot points. The new weapons were also great (Street Sweeper in TLAD :D). I also found many of the new characters to be very well placed, and fit their roles perfectly, specifically Yusuf in TBoGT; I would love to play a whole game with him in it (We getting ARAB MONEY!!!). Overall, if you liked GTA IV, even slightly, you will almost certainly enjoy these. Well worth picking up, in my opinion.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats my point...MS camp isn't looking too hot on 1st party compared to Sony/Nintendo. They need to invest in 1st party and stop loaning or money hatting(whatever you prefer) 3rd party studios for "exclusives" because in the end it will be ported and with extra content...it makes no sense. The market is basically even right now and MS needs to focus on internal studios and let the 3rd party make games for everyone.

Bless

12. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I'm not sure I follow you there. I don't think a dwindling list of hit games from first party devs is just a MS problem.
    I agree with that, but again, they all need to do this, not just MS.
    Which market is this you speak of?
    Again, this is not just a MS problem. EVERY single console maker needs to do this. The list of 3rd party exclusive games this generation, from both MS and Sony, that would have probably sold in decent numbers had they been multiplatform is staggering.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

M$ has seemingly got less first party IP's than Sony & Nintendo. I like the Rare Studio games but they haven't done well at retail. Gears of War has done very well (although I don't like it) and Halo franchise has seemingly run it's course. ODST was simply an old EA style cash in. Fable is excellent though :)

Other than that what other first party titled exclusives do they have ?

Sony is in a better position in this regard, yes it's lost a number of titles we once associated with the playstation brand, but it still has a good number of first party studio titles covering larger genre's of gaming than M$

Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous, Heavy Rain etc...

Microsoft still has a lead on Sony this generation in overall volume of sales for the 360 although that margin is starting to become negligible. (I assume that's what is meant by even markets) and in order to sustain sales and drive people to the 360 hardware over its competitors M$ needs to have a stronger and more varied line up of first party titles.

Natal looks promising but is it enough alone ?

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Agreed. It's a very tough argument to make that MS has better first party development than Sony or Nintendo. MS is prospering on the fact that they came out first and are easier to develop for, especially for (ex)PC-centric devs like Epic or Valve or Bioware.

But while the 360 is losing ground to the PS3 (VGChartz lists worldwide 360 sales as less than 6 million more than the PS3, while is down from the nearly 9 million headstart MS had by releasing a year early) it makes up for it by having game exclusives like Mass Effect, which already sold 2 million units (500k first day) and the lions share of games like MW2. So maybe they are on the right track? If they own the third party scene then they can ride big games to the bank while Sony settles for their (awesome) first party and the crumbs of third party sales.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There aren't many Xbox 360 exclusives I like, and all the ones I do like are on PC (L4D, Halo 1).
    But I'm a slave to Xbox Live :eek:. I just wish Games for Windows Live didn't exist. Poor, poor service.

16. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Forza.
    See, but isn't this is where I disagree. Do we want exclusives or not? In my perfect world, there would be ZERO exclusives, and all games would just come out on all consoles. An exclusive game, no matter what console it was made for, would sell in greater numbers if it were sold to more people.

Hell, this is an Apple forum, this isn't a foreign concept. Is the iPhone selling well just from AT&T? Sure, but it would undoubtedly sell much more if it were available to people using ALL cell carriers.
    Such as??
    True, though shooters tend to sell much better on 360, so you have to wonder if Guerrilla is helped or hurt by being PS3 exclusive.
    False. Insomniac is a 3rd Party dev, which means Resistance is not 1st Party either, for those counting.
    False. Sucker Punch is a 3rd Party dev.
    False. Quantic Dream is a 3rd Party dev.
    OK, just speaking from a realistic position, Sony only has 3, maybe 4, good high profile 1st Party games. Uncharted, Gran Turismo, God of War and Killzone. The rest of them rank right up there with Banjo, Halo Wars and Mech Warrior as decent games, but nothing I would really put on a pedestal as a shining example of the brand. So really, if we're only talking 2 or 3 great games from each 1st Party, what is the difference?
    But do they? If the monthly sales numbers are anything to go by, multiplatform games are consistently selling in higher numbers on the 360 than they are on the PS3. And because of that fact, the limited number of 1st and 3rd Party exclusives isn't much of a problem for them. Their exclusive games still sell very well (See Mass Effect 2 and L4D2 sales), and then the multiplatform games sell better than the competition as well. Seems to me that is a pretty good position to be in.

This is the same issue I brought up in a different thread. I feel that Sony is the one who need to be concerned here. Excluding Nintendo, hardware sales are basically a break even deal for the console makers, so software and accessory sales are where they make a good deal of their profit. Each month, the top 20 game sales are just littered with Nintendo and MS titles, with just a couple PS3 titles sprinkled in.

Yes, when they release a big title, like Uncharted or Killzone, it will show. But the next month they are gone. And, when big multiplatform games are released, like MW2, AC2 or GTA, they will consistently sell more on the 360. And when software sales are a big chunk of your profit, that is a worrying thing. At least, I hope it worries them, because I personally think it should.

Again, I just think the days of exclusives, timed or otherwise, needs to end. Except in some rare cases, like with Valve, I'm sure every developer would love to sell their games to more people. More sales means more profits, and that means more great games. It would also put an end to all the stupid fanboy crap. People could just buy which ever system they wanted based on its features, and not have to worry if they would get the great games when they release. I would love to be able to have just a PS3 under my TV so I could watch the occasional Blu-ray, but then also play Halo or Forza. That would be great. One less device is always welcome by me.

OH, and also, do you really have to use the dollar sign when abbreviating Microsoft? I mean, I know this is an Apple forum, but this is 2010, and that "joke" has LONG been unfunny. Plus, if you want people to take your side of an argument serious, it helps to not look like a one-sided fanboy.

17. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

18. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Done. Can I still discuss this topic?

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Umm is it really necessary for you to attack like you did in your last paragraph...because he used a $ for MS..seriously:confused::rolleyes:

I see no fanboy here...just a discussion.

Exclusives are what makes each console stand out from each other and attract potential customers to the platform. We don't live in a one console world(thank goodness) because there wouldn't be any competition and the console maker could do whatever they like to hardware/software prices and would not improve there services...no thank you.

Third party developers are here to fill in that void where everyone can enjoy the game on any platform but this gen(just to get the upper hand) MS has "funded" 3rd parties to make timed-exclusive and most of us miss out on it...this strategy isn't working like it did at the start of the generation.

little Big Planet, LocoRoco, Flower, Motor Storm, Demon's Souls(From Software/Sony Studio Japan developed game)...the point is Sony ip covers a wide spectrum of genres.

You do know all of those games MR mention are owned by Sony and will never see the light of day on a non Sony branded console unless Sony(not the 3rd party developers) sells the ip.

I think I've discuss with you in another thread on the sales of software/HW for both consoles and I dont think either console maker is having problems in this department...MS sells more games than Sony we know this but Sony still makes its fill on them.

The thing is Sony has a lot of first party studios developing games from every angle...hardcore/casual and its making the PS3 stand out from the 360 and MS really need to kick it in gear and develop more games.

Bless

20. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I thought it was the Blu-ray, and standard Wifi, and hard drive?? I mean, Sony does even say "It only does EVERYTHING" in their ads.
    But doesn't that just "Make the console stand out" from its competition, in order to "attract potential customers" to the platform? I thought you said that was good?
    Forza, Halo, Fable, Crackdown, Shadow Complex, Banjo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Viva Piñata, etc. Those games cover racing, shooter, action, RPG, platformer, casual, etc. Again, I don't see a difference.
    That wasn't the point. He/she mentioned that they were 1st Party developers, and I was simply correcting that error. Owning the IP is one thing, but stating they are a Sony-owned, 1st Party dev is a completely different story.
    If you don't think using a $ when abbreviating Microsoft is silly and childish, even on an Apple forum, then I don't know what to say.
    AHHH, now I get it. You know what, just forget I ever said anything.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bless...

Isn't it always blatantly obvious who is new around these parts.

Word of advice, try and get to know the regulars on this forum. Maybe you could read some of their previous post history before throwing around assumptions about them. You couldn't be further off the mark if you tried...

But if it makes you happy... whatever ;)

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, already forgotten.

FYI: I have and play(enjoy them as well) every current and last gen console so you can take it from there and think what you want.

MRU I'm taking back what is mines...

Bless

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL.. It's your's bro :D

24. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I'm new?
    I have. OH, but wait, you're talking about YOU. I see.

Hi, I'm SevenInchScrew. I'm a Taurus. I enjoy long walks on the beach. I'm very good at golf, and play a lot of video games.
    Please excuse me for not fully researching you to see why you do silly things in some of your 9,200+ posts. I'll get to reading, and get back to you with what I find.
    You mean, sort of like how you "couldn't be further off the mark" when it comes to game developers?
    Then how do you "miss out" on things when they are exclusive? If what you say is true, you shouldn't care either way, as you'll be able to play any game from any system.

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

why do we have to have point by point rebuttals? Wall of texts make my eyes bleed...

And besides that, why we are whining in a thread about GTA?