Story Of My "STOLEN" iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icy-macpro, Mar 3, 2008.

1. icy-macpro macrumors member

Well. This may be akward. But ill start off with me being the owner. Im a student at A highschool in Toronto, and well being the only one in the High School being A MAJOR apple freak inc. Apple Logos on my locker, "The Works" ... I had to go to the states to get an iPhone. So I set up a day with my Dad, and he said alright, lets go... I went over the border to the Apple Store In the Walden Galleria in New York (Buffalo). I Purchased it. I left Canada @ 8:30 & Bought the iPhone @ 8:45, lucky me no cops were watching the speed limit & YAY for GPS. We were there ON TIME. I didnt have a hard time purchasing the iPhone. I went in and got out. It was simple actually, didnt ask to many questions, i just said it was a gift & that was it. Well I arrived in canada on Sunday Morning EARLY @ 1:20 am... went through customs... payed $60 CAD for taxes. & left. Still sealed in the box arrived at home, & COULDNT WAIT TO UNLOCK IT!. But went to sleep. I woke up turned on my Macbook Pro, started independence & volia did all the good stuff got it unlocked. Well had it everyday working. iPod & on Fido. Was wonderful, brought it to school the next day & BAM everyone, was in AWE. I couldnt help it I told some people but the word spread SOOO FAST. Everyone asked if they could see it. It was like Macworld ALL OVER AGAIN ughh. I enjoyed the fame =). Well after a couple weeks the opening of leopard arrived, I brought it with me to line up @ the Eatons Center, took some pics, & an apple employee was handing out water & decided NOT to give me one simply because i HAD AN iPHONE. I reported it to the manager, he apologized and I received extra shirts on that Launch Day.! I had dropped my iPhone in the Store and it had a dent EXACTLY by the earphone Jack. Making it unique from every other.

Well Now ill skip to the actual "STOLEN" part of the story.

So @ our highschool we have a Winter Activity day in which we go to various places eg. skiing, snowboarding, skating etc... I chose skating.. we went to Nathan Philip Square that day. It was a Awful day for me. Well i skated on ice a couple times and just played around with my iphone, opening txt msg's, Making Calls to other peers etc etc... Someone must have seen it, seen me playing with it. Well the day was coming to an end. I sat on the outside bench removed my "rented skates" and in the process, someone behind reached into my side & took my iPhone. (I DID NOT NOTICE THIS AT THE TIME), well i returned my skates and i realized that it wasnt on me! I WAS IN AN PHASE that i couldnt explain, it was my "baby" & someone took it. Well we looked and looked me and 20 other kids there, but other people from Toronto were there also. So i accepted that it was gone, but made a phone call to my phone # & normally it should ring & go to my "Answering Machine" but it didnt - in reply it said that the customer is NOT available. That ment that whoever took my iPhone had turned it off. UGGH. I was soo sad that day.

I came home... parents were, well what can we do its gone... eventually they said it will pop out. So everyone @ school had an eye out, and i became so big the principal got involved and made an announcement and a group on Facebook was made called iHelp, it was for the comfot for me and my gone phone. I was actually getting donations as well, but didnt want to take it, was to sad.

Well this may seem weird, I purchased my 16gb iPhone on ebay, because I didnt want to drive to the states again and well after a few day I checked on craigslist for my "Stolen 8gb" iPhone... well guess what? IT WAS THERE, MY IPHONE WITH THE DENT & NO BOX AND HE PROVIDED THE SAME CASE AS MINE A "HOLSTER", we emailed him but he said it had been sold, he removed the ad, & well we found out where he lives his ISP provider his cell # all that, & gave him a call & told him we know that you have sold a "STOLEN" iPhone, he said no i bought it 7 months ago & blah blah blah... its mine i know my baby when I see it. Well ill post screen shots of the ad, because he removed it...

Well that basically it my story so far...

Any Questions?

Should I Post any updates, if any come out?

here are the pics.... (below)

Attached Files:

2. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

How can you be 100% sure its yours? Mine has dents on it too from dropping it, as does many others :-/

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Wow dude. That sucks, I can't even imagine what I'd do. Except call the cops now that you know who he is. The cops should be able to prove that the iPhone is yours by matching the credit card transaction with the apple transaction (their files) which will include the unique serial number.

4. icy-macpro thread starter macrumors member

its mine. trust me. Its toronto, no one here has iPhones. & the dent I had was on the exact spot. & c'mon "NO BOX" & having the same case as mine.

5. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

It's a sad world we live in!:mad:

Good luck getting the police to even look into it.:rolleyes:

6. bensternater333 macrumors member

u know at i would do.....

listen to the 1 post in the thread that says that if u still have ur box with the serial # on it and if u get the cops to trace down that iPhone and bring it back to u so u can see it..... if it has the same serial #, then he can get arrested for selling stolen property!!!!
    DO IT!!!!

7. ZooCrewMan macrumors member

I hope this will have tought you to not flash your very expensive, highly sought after, and easily stollen toys in public.

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i just want to know how you chose skating over snowboarding? :confused:

:p

9. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

are the 3 bottom pics yours or his?

if they're his, just check the imei.

10. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Crackin' up :D

But seriously.....OP, that's a horrible experience, but can you be 100% the phone in those photos is yours? How common is the case? Surely dents on iPhones aren't uncommon? Surely there are plenty of people in a place the size of Toronto who got themselves iPhones, from whatever source?

But if you're still certain it's yours move hell and high water to go after this guy. Go to your local police station and get some advice, do whatever you have to do - pursue the guy to the grave....I would, but then I'm a vengeful so-and-so. :)

11. pcorajr macrumors 6502

You are so pathetic. How the Hell is using a phone flashing it? can you explain that one to me? The fact is that his phone was stolen and who ever did it is a pice of crap. The Iphone is a very wanted phone and is sure draws a lot of attention specially in countries where is not out yet. That does not give anybody the right to steal one.

12. legioss macrumors newbie

why not to buy teenagers expensive items

I hate to say it, but you are just a little too immature to be owning a 500 dollar phone. Those of us who do own them (and live in Toronto, which there are many of despite your claim) treat them with cautious pride and would not pull them out play with them in just any old place. Let alone be skating and reading text messages.

As for the person stealing your phone...unless you have valid proof , i.e. your name is engraved on it, the phone company has your IMEI on record and you can prove that is the IMEI of the phone, then you have no recourse. It is called hearsay and the police will not do anything about it.

Now if you have decided to rally the troups and "roll" the seller for stealling your iphone, then that just reinforces your imaturity. But I then have to question how exactly you managed to get an ISP to reveal someones personal information when basically it takes a court order to get them to turn over that kind of information.

Now it seems to me that you have little concept of money and that your parents will buy you what you want, with the proof being that you just bought another one on ebay, albeit a more expensive one. The fact that you were racing down the highway with little regard as to whether you got a ticket and the fact that you have a gps in your vehicle (which I know are not that expensive, but are a luxury none the less) are all clues to how money means nothing to you. Now if you would like to debunk my claim, let us know what high school you attend. I am betting it is not BCI.

Take it as a lesson learned and maybe you will be more careful with your next phone.

13. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

you're absolutely right!

young high school kids with expensive and impossible to get devices should be able to brag to their friends and use their $500 phone on a skating rink anytime and anywhere without having to worry about someone stealing it. since all people are innately good.

you make absolutely no sense, man.

14. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Impossible, maybe for you, some of us just work hard and earn our gadgets. Where on his post do you see him bragging ? He took the phone to school and he drew attention to himself. It does happen just like when the first iphone showed up at work. So what?

This could of happened to me a 29 year old while i was at the movies with my family. it could of happened to anybody not just a teenager. I love how everybody like to pass judgement and automatically assume things.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Why does this remind me of "girls that wear miniskirts are just asking to be raped"... :rolleyes:

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

If the bottom pics are from his listing, just compare the serial number with that on your box.

17. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I think the bottom pictures were taken by the OP. The only pictures the Craigslist seller had were the three in the top two screenshots.

18. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

never seen an immature high schooler bragging to his friends about something he has and they dont? my sister got her camera stolen in her freshman year of high school for just that reason.

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

There's been a lot of theft at my school lately and now they're banning iPods due to the amount of parents complaining about the theft.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I, for one, am shocked by the number of people in here who bought an iPhone and yet NEVER USE IT IN PUBLIC.

You only use it at home? Right next to your computer? Talk about a waste of money. At least the kid who got robbed used his iPhone for a few months. But it's the people who never use their phone that have really lost out.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I hope you like spelling "stolen" wrong.

I also hope this post makes you feel good about yourself.

Oh my god, "tought"! It's "taught", FYI.

22. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

Like others have said, compare serial numbers and if they match contact the police.

23. wiseguy macrumors member

wiseguy

From what planet are you from...

The only one in Toronto to have an iPhone... wouhahahahahah, that's the best one today. There is thousand of iPhone in Canada, even Yellow Pages in Canada made a special web page for iPhone. I drove a few years one of the first new model of Mercedes Coupe, it's fun to flash but there's a price to pay. My girlfriend saw me with an other girl in my flashy car... hihihihi, I couldn't argue, it was the only car like that in the area.

24. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

who does that????

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Um, there's a person I just quoted who might be a likely candidate:eek:...

But, to that person, I'm sorry if that was a little harsh. I hate it when people act like that. Do you have any idea how MEAN that is, dude? Do you really think that's helping?