Story time: Broke my rMBP and apple care is useless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

So over the past week i dropped my 15" rMBP and it costed over $700 in repairs, and you would think that $400 extra for applecare will cover but no they don't even offer a discount in accidental repairs. I wouldnt recomend you get apple care because it does not cover accidental and its a new machine so i highly doubt anything on the manufactures end will go wrong. And if it does apple will always issue a recall program (late but better than never). Also there is people who can fix these for cheaper (recomend to do after warrenty is over).

Attached Files:

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

AppleCare terms clearly state that it does not cover damage caused by accidents or misuse. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

It sucks that you broke your system, it really does, but I have no sympathy for those that try to turn around and blame somebody else for their situation.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yes ... AppleCare does suck. It's expensive and should cover more than normal wear-and-tear.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I've never gotten it, actually. AppleCare is basically an extended warranty, right?

There are so-called all-risk contents insurances, which even cover damage when you're outside of the house. (I'm not a native speaker, there might be a better term for this?).

5. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I think i know what your talking about. If you buy it from Best Buy and get their warranty plan they can fix for free. But its most likely gonna be refurbished or old

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Who charged you $700 for the repair?

The screen assembly is ~$250. Labor should be ~$150

If I charge $700, I would be rich!

7. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

the genius bar ;(. it was 640 then labor charges made it to 700. They recommended that i should go to a certified repair place but i didn't want to take a chance yet, it's 5 months old

I found a guy on Youtube who i messaged and said he would do it for half. And he posts videos so you know he is good. He is Milan something on youtube

edit: found him

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I know who he is.

Both he and I use OEM parts that are identical to what Apple use and believe me, they don't cost nearly as much as Apple claims.

That is how much the Apple Store/AASP paid Apple for the part. That's NOT how much the part actually cost.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

So it's Apples fault that you dropped your computer and had to pay for the repair?

And it's Apples fault that you didn't read or understand what AppleCare does and does not cover?

Way to step up and be accountable.

10. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

is OEM what apple uses, like if he uses the exact thing apple uses thats awesome
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    mmhmm. Well if you're paying 400 extra for applecare you would expect the same care you're getting in an Iphone, accidental repairs. I'm just voicing my opinion and probably a lot of others. As you can see i didn't mind paying for a repair since it was my fault. But they could at least include a discount in repairs

11. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Yea, I have a separate accidental insurance policy for all my tech.

Worked perfectly for me when the strap of my bag broke and damaged my old cMBP. Insurance quickly got the housing replaced.

Unfortunately, I have to tell people all the time to get accidental damage insurance because Apple Care is useless in that regard. It's a common misconception, and @T5BRICK is correct in that it clearly states that it does not cover accidental damage. You are out of luck.

AppleCare certainly has its uses, but I always recommend insurance over AppleCare if you can afford only one at the time of purchase. Save the pennies and get AppleCare later since you can add it up to a year from purchase.

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

My first macbook I had apple care, then it died and I got a brand new one after 2 years, good deal. My second macbook had no apple care, it died after the apple care would have expired. The point of my story is apple makes terrible quality hardware that is prone to failure and or killing your loved ones in a fiery explosion.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

AppleCare is an extended warranty, not an insurance policy. Learn the difference.

14. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Can anyone recommend a decent insurance plan for accident repairs?

15. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Do i have to buy this type of insurance from apple?

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

A lot of homeowners/renters policies cover this, alternatively you can ask your insurance company to cover this, for a nominal fee.

17. David58117 macrumors 65816

I think the funny part it - I believe Microsoft Complete covers 2 accidental damage claims, AND costs less than AppleCare..

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

My insurance company (USAA) covers drops and spills on my MacBook Pro. Why didn't you get that ??

19. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

20. mikepro macrumors 6502

Did you buy the computer with a credit card? Many cards have a benefit that would cover such an accident.

21. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I get mine from Worth Ave Group. They were super helpful and got my old cMBP repaired. Customer service even cleared me for an early delivery on Saturday since I was going out of town for the summer and had the flight the next Monday. After that, I use it on all my devices now.

22. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

I would never be without Apple Care. When I had problems with an iMac, it was replaced with a newer model with higher specs. Of course, it was not case of accidental damage, but a failure of parts.

23. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

If only i got apple care on my iphone, i had to get a new one ($320) when i dropped mine in water

24. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I returned my AppleCare. After reading online I determined it wasn't necessary for me.

25. GoldenDust Suspended

GoldenDust

That's why I have the USAA insurance plan. I do have 3 year AppleCare as well, but I didn't buy that. Hahah!