Straight Talk alternative

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fedecape, Apr 1, 2013.

1. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

Hi !

I've used Straight Talk for the entire 2012, and it was decent service considering that it is just 45 dollars/month.

I spent the winter in my country (Argentina) and my simcard was deactivated until last week.

Mobile Internet in Argentina is REALLY bad (We only have HSPA and it's worse than EDGE) so I was a little impressed by Straight Talk's HSPA+.

After a week sending few pictures, some WhatsApping, web browsing and (iOS) Google Maps GPS and I found out that my data was LIMITED to nothing.

The speedtest.net app can't even begin measuring, but I estimate about 0,20 down / 0,20 up.

My iPhone's usage tab says that I've only used 600MB.

It used to happen everytime I went over 2GB, and then it goes back to the normal speed as soon as I put a new 45 dollars card. The call center told me that I won't get my speeds back. And to make it worse, she played an automatic recorded message that says "You have violated straight talk's ******** terms and that from now on I should measure my (LIMITED) data usage. They "suggested[kind of forced]" me to limit "internet radio" "video streaming" "heavy browsing" and everything that uses internet to WIFI only. LOL

The funny thing is that their terms basically state that their internet can only be used in your smartphone, under its capabilities. Tethering is not allowed.

That's what I did..

I'm gonna jailbreak my phone, tether the data to my computer and leave it downloading YouTube videos until the billing cycle ends. Just kidding, I need my phone.

Guys, do you know any good alternative? I don't mind paying a little more for a better service.

Straight Talk uses AT&T towers, and the coverage is really good here in South Florida. T-Mobile usually dies when I'm indoors (I tried a prepaid simcard).

Thank you

2. 617aircav Suspended

And that's why I don't use this crappy service.

3. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502

fedecape

I use it because it's prepaid.. I don't wanna sign a contract with an american company.. Besides, I'm not a citizen so I have to "prepay" part of the contract. Something like that.

4. 617aircav Suspended

I was not criticising you, just the service.

5. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Try:
    AT&T MVNO's:
    - H2O
    - Net10
    - RedPocket Mobile

T-Mobile MVNO's:
    - Simple Mobile
    - GoSmart Mobile
    - Spot Mobile

6. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502

fedecape

and I wasn't complaining, just explaining my actions :)

----------

The best in your opinion?

7. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Depends on your Area when it comes to T-Mobile.

AT&T - NET10 (1.5GB/Month unthrottled Datausage but thats it though it shuts off after that)

T-Mobile - GoSmart Mobile - 5GB 3G/4G Data (Great if you have a T-Mobile compatbile Phone or if you are in the 1900MHz Refarmed area - Found mostly in Cities) Checkout my T-Mobile 3G Coverage thread for more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356522

8. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502

fedecape

Go SmartMobile seems to be a great option.. I mean, 5GB? Full T-Mobile speeds?

What if I jailbreak and tether but I don't exceed the 5GB limit?

Can I buy the simcard in a physical store?

Thank you !

9. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

If you want AT&T coverage like you had on Straight Talk look at either Net10 or Airvoice. Net10 is the same company as Straight Talk, but has a 1.5GB limit instead of the fake unlimited ST does. Airvoice is a different company that treats their customers well and has excellent customer service.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Tmobile can be great, depending on where you lived. In Atlanta, their service was very good in 2010 when I left there. However, driving from Atlanta to NJ I had edge most of the way. That's typical of Tmobile.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

AT&T should have what you need.

U do not have to sign a contract. A contract is only for people who are getting a brand new (we call subsidized) phone, but it sounds like you already have a phone.

No matter whether you are a citizen, you live here, you should be able to get a credit card with a local address. If not a debit card with the visa logo am almost sure AT&T would have no problem taking that.

12. 617aircav Suspended

13. fedecape thread starter macrumors 6502

fedecape

I have an Argentinian AMEX credit card. I don't have a social security number, but I do have a Florida ID Card issued by the DMV.

Here in South Florida T-Mobile has 3G coverage, but if you guys tell me that I'll be getting edge everytime I get on the highway.. It doesn't sound interesting anymore

My iPhone is actually an AT&T iPhone ("As a Gift, no contract [therefore unlocked]) so I guess it would work with their LTE network..

14. 617aircav Suspended

If it involves credit , you will need a social.

15. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

if its the iphone 5 it will work perfectly with tmobile's lte but unfortunately i don't think South Florida has LTE for t-mobile just yet

the phone is AT&T so that means you have 3G with t-mobile in some areas because they are switching their frequencies to be more iPhone friendly but PCS 1900mhz has ****** building penetration so you'll get Edge in most highways and indoors...
    don't know if you know this but turns out there will be a new version of the iPhone 5 one that will be fully compatible with T-mobiles old 3G spectrum (AWS) one which will has better 3G coverage...so

your only option is to sell that iPhone and get the new tweaked version that will be sold starting april 12 that is TMOBILE aws 3G friendly

I know you don't want a contract or a t-mobile service you can try their MVNOs

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Good thing about MVNOs is, once you reach your max it simply stops, you put more$ in, it re-starts again. No nagging like ST does. Bad thing is, you may get throttled (vs legacy carriers speed) from the gecko.