Carrier Straight talk sim in ATT 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmms8, Sep 1, 2014.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hi i have a locked ATT 5S which i am currently unlocking. I put in a ST sim card earlier to test if it was unlocked and i saw that i was able to call, iMessage, and use data.

iirc ST uses ATT towers or whatever, so i wasn't sure if i was really unlocked? Anyone have an answer? Thanks!

2. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

3. austriak macrumors regular

If it is an ATT iphone and the ATT straight talk sim, it does not prove it is unlocked. Putting in the tmobile straight talk sim would have.

The other way to know if your iphone is unlocked is a little bit of a pain but very accurate. Connect your iphone to itunes and restore your phone. If the iphone is unlocked, after itunes performs the restore process, a screen will pop up on itunes that says something like, "Congratulations, your iphone is unlocked". Every time you restore, it should do this. It is a pain because restoring wipes the device so make sure to backup beforehand.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You said it yourself.
    ST uses AT&T's network so obviously you won't need to unlock it to use it on any AT&T mvno's.
    Only way to tell is it's unlocked is put a tmobile sim and see how far you get.
    Also carrier unlocked iPhones don't always give you that congratulations your phone is unlocked message. So that's not a really accurate way to test it either.