Straight talk - Unlocked iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VPrime, Apr 19, 2013.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hi guys,

I'll be traveling to the US in a few weeks and looking into cell phone options. I found that straight talk is the cheapest route to go for data and calling.
    I have an unlocked iPhone 5 (canadian GSM model, same as AT&T).

When I go to the straight talk site to order a sim card, and enter GSM as my option. The page then presents a simcard that says "T-Mobile compatible Sim card"... Which I assume is full size and I need to cut down (no worries here).

Is this the right sim card? Will I get 3G service (in New York)?

Or would it just be best to wait until I'm in the US, find a walmart and get it in person?

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Straight Talk stopped selling AT&T compatible SIM some time ago, but you can also get a Net10 SIM which is essentially the same thing. Also, from what I understand you should be ok with the tmobile SIM from ST....

Many people complain b/c tmobile's reputation of having crappy service, but they are improving and from my personal experience I now have the tmobile iPhone 5 and can not be happier with t-mobile.

Try their SIM, the t-mobile compatible & you should be ok during your stay here in the US.

3. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I second the Net10 suggestion. Works great on AT&T network.

Note that they have capped their "unlimited* data" at 1.5GB per month. It's their new unlimited but limited plan.:rolleyes: ("unlimited" for the advertising, "limited" for actual use). Nevertheless, if you can live with a cap of 1.5GB, it will save you a lot of money over the big 3 and is a little cheaper than TMobile's new unlimited* everything offerings too.

4. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I just recently bought a $1 Net10 AT&T sim from eBay and set up my mom's new 5 on it, works perfectly. You can buy one already cut for you, just search for "Net10 at&t nanosim". Just know you will need to do some tweaking to configure data/mms. The ones in this video worked perfectly for me: http://youtu.be/4ifaDP9Cr38 I'm not quite sure how AT&Ts network is vs. T-Mobile in NY, so look into that first.

I can vouch for both Net10 and Straight Talk on AT&T sim (both are owned by the same company anyway)

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

If you do go with the net10 option, I have the settings I just switched from them to tmobile when I got the tmobile iPhone 5 on tmobile on credit. (I hope this helps)

Net10 APN settings for iPhone:

APN: tfdata

MMS APN: tfdata
    APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    Max Msg Size: 1048576