Strange: 13" MBP has been connected to wall all day, yet battery is very low now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jul 13, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

My MBP, has been connected to the wall all day and the magsafe had a green light. Now the light is amber and when i press the battery indicator light there's very little power left. What's wrong?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you click on the battery icon on the menubar, what does it state that the percentage is?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're connected to power, the battery should not drain past 95%; once it hits 95%, it will begin to recharge itself back to 100% which is normal and will help condition the battery.

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, In this case it got drained all the way to 18%!!, it's been a little over 1 1/2 hours, and the battery is still recharging...

5. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

It sounds like you may have a defective power cord.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Like dan stated above, it could be the cord but I would try a SMC reset and then try charging again and see if anything changes. If that doesn't work, you might need to swap out power cords.

7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, battery is fully recharged now!, I suspect it had something to do with Rosetta draining my battery.
    Let's see how it goes.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

How could Rosetta by itself drain the battery while power is plugged in?

9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I ran an old chess program called JIN, that program requires Rosetta

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I highly doubt that you running rosetta is the cause of this problem. Is there any fraying or abnormalities in the power cord?

11. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, cord is in perfect shape. Although when I noticed, the power adapter's white box was awfully hot and the battery was almost completely empty. (got drained to 18% in 30-45 minutes!) Right now the battery is fully charged (green led) and the box is nice and cool.

12. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

So should I be worried about this issue?
    Can this have damaged my battery in any way?
    My battery should still last up to 10 hours a charge right? (especially since my laptop is only 4 days old.)

13. vant macrumors 65816

14. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

At this point everything seems fine. I'm currently in the process of calibrating my battery. If anything goes wrong I'll reset the SMC. The simple fact that I'm able to use my laptop without it being plugged to the wall should mean the battery is working fine.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Was the "box" part of the charger cable covered by anything? If it was, or even if it wasn't, it may have overheated and shut itself off, to prevent damage to the charger. If the charger overheated and it wasn't covered by anything that could insulate it, it may very well be defective. Before you come to the conclusion that you have a faulty power supply, you should try an SMC reset and see if the problem reoccurs.

16. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No risk involved

18. vant macrumors 65816

I've done it probably 10 or so times while testing things. Completely safe. It's what Apple tells you to do when you have certain issues with SMC related functions (such as power).