Strange black box and lines around windows and dashboard discoloration.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pazimzadeh, Mar 9, 2010.

1. pazimzadeh macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, please look at the video recording I have linked to. As you can see from the video there is a strange black area surrounding my windows, but only when there are "active," not when I click on the desktop. The iTunes window is unaffected. Additionally the Quicksilver command interface and the Dashboard have a discoloration which is very annoying. Do you know what could be causing this? This behavior goes away when I restart my computer but eventually comes back. I have not been able to tie it to a specific app yet.

This is on a white macbook that I've had for almost two years, but this only about one month old. It didn't use to happen very often but nowadays it happens almost every day.

Video:
    http://www.terpconnect.umd.edu/~philippe/macbookstrangeness/

2. nebarik macrumors member

sounds like your graphics card is dieing. hope you got extended warranty cos to get it repaired out of warranty may not be worth it.

take it to a service centre

3. pazimzadeh thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't exactly have a graphics card; I have one of the white macbook with the Intel GMA X3100. I thought the problem would be more of a software issue...do you guys know of precedent cases that are similar?

I haven't had any other graphics problems doing normal stuff like photoshop, watching videos, using visualhub, etc...

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Defo looks like graphics card issue. I've had it twice! Both on a PMG5. It gradually just got worse until I couldnt see anything.