Strange dialog popped up by itself!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensporebomb, Dec 5, 2012.

1. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I have a 32gig iPhone5 on Sprint here in the U.S. and just got a dialog box on the main screen of my iPhone5 indicating that there were "new settings available for my carrier, did I want to update it now?"

I updated it and no visible changes occurred but they did recently ramp up several communities with LTE in my area.

Very odd - has anyone else received anything like this? It popped up almost like a text message.

2. imacadoo macrumors member

I seem to recall I got a similar update message for my Verizon i5 within the last couple of months. Don't recall what it did but the phone is working fine.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Yeah, I believe there needed to be an update done to the iP5 before OTA updates could be done, or something along those lines. And it was for Verizon customers only.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Sounds like an update to the carrier settings:

More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1970

I'd imagine there will be more information available relatively shortly either from Sprint, Apple, or any number of tech news sites as searches for details aren't returning anything at the moment.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It's called a carrier settings update and yes everyone gets them and no it's not strange

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

These have existed on iPhones for years. It is just the carrier making changes to the network.

7. aliensporebomb thread starter macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Odd

Weird. I've had iPhones since the 3g and that's the first time I've seen it. Nothing to worry about then.

8. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Nope, nothing to worry about. The most significant carrier settings update I can remember, in terms of how noticeable it was after the update, was actually when I had my 3G. It enabled MMS.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well you haven't had a Sprint iPhone since the 3G. (or maybe you did?)

Ive never seen it on my AT&T iphone