Strange discoloration on right side of MBP screen bezel

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

My MBP i about 5 weeks old now and I have been very very careful to make sure it stays in great condition. I have noticed since early this week that a strange greyish discoloration has started to appear on the right side of the screen bezel. It is about 1/2 an inch in length.

In addition to he obvious reason why I would be somewhat displeased and concerned, is the fact that almost the exact same thing happened to my powerbook, but it only happened after several years of use so I didn't think too much of it. I have attached a picture, but because it is metal it is really hard to take a decent picture that actually shows the streak. I would really appreciate your comments on whether you have had a similar experience or thoughts on what could be making this happen.

Attached Files:

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

it's something you personnally are doing...it took years for it to develop on the powerbook as the habit took that long to develop...now that you have the habit...it takes shorter for it to happen

could be as simple as a piec of dirt or something

3. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Not to be dense, but since it's hard to see, I can't even begin to tell what it might be. Does it appear to be structural or on the surface? What have you used to try to remove it, i.e. cleaner, wipes, etc?

Mine is just about 4 weeks old and I haven't noticed anything but dirt/fingerprints/the random stray dog hair. All easily cleaned.

My best friend was over last night with his and his had nothing odd with the case, either.

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

while i appreciate the response, your points are contrary to one another and more over what habit could I have that would be done so many times to right side of the middle of my screen. I don't even touch it. Stop guessing at weird things that I did, its been 5 weeks.

It is not dirt I took a slightly damp soft micro-fiber cloth to it and gently cleaned the area to double check. It looks more like the coating or whatever gives the MBP its color on the aluminum is wearing off.