Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
I'm attempting to get my company to set me up with remote access to my mail from my PB. They've told me that Entourage won't work completely. The specific issue is, it'll give me access to send and receive mail internal to my company, but not send to outside addresses. I have verified this. When I try to reply to an outside address, Entourage gives me an error, "relaying is prohibited".

Any ideas why this is? As usual, the PC centric MIS guys aren't putting much effort into this.

Thanks all.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Microsoft "didn't put much effort" into creating Entourage, either.

it doesn't exactly work with Exchange server, if that's what you are trying to do. you'll have more luck with Apple's "Mail" - which is scary.

good luck.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Stevp1 said:
I'm attempting to get my company to set me up with remote access to my mail from my PB. They've told me that Entourage won't work completely. The specific issue is, it'll give me access to send and receive mail internal to my company, but not send to outside addresses. I have verified this. When I try to reply to an outside address, Entourage gives me an error, "relaying is prohibited".

Any ideas why this is? As usual, the PC centric MIS guys aren't putting much effort into this.

Thanks all.

I have a similar problem with my University. I made a work around by creating a second account in Entourage for an email address not on the Exchange server. Then, depending if the mail is going internally or externally, I choose which email server I am going to route it through.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
thanks for the quick replies, all. It looks like I'm going to go with Outlook 2001 for Mac for now (and do some more experimenting on my own later!)

Thanks again.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
just tried mail. Didn't think about that one. Still getting the same error. I'm sure it's the way my company sets up the exchange server. Probably because we don't have OWA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.