Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sameon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
London
Hi,

I have an Mac pro (2009), currently I have installed a GTX 580 which has been working for more than 2 years but now there is a strange horizontal lines and the whole interface is very sluggish when using OSX 10.11 but in bootcamp windows 10 there is no issue at all.

bcpursel

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
i have been having weird graphics issues on my mac pro 2009 also. i have a geforce gt120 gpu. i thought it was the graphics card failing, and purchased a used identical machine to try to decipher what is causing it. system has been sluggish the past month or so and i have 10.6.8 OS which has been solid and fast for me until recently. i also have been having odd repeating screen scrambles that are bizarre and no one on here seems to have any input.

i tried the other identical graphics card, still occurred. I switched my ram tray with the other from 1 x 16 gb to 4 x 2gb to see if that has any effect. and i also cloned my HD to a new SATA drive, and am booting off that to see if it may just be a failing HD.

is your issue different or are you seeing similar graphics? i attached pics of mine.
photo 2.JPG photo 4.JPG
[doublepost=1462237242][/doublepost]i just cloned the hard drive today, restarted twice with the other ram still in. it seems to be running better, although i have not had any of the graphics issues on any consistent basis so it could just be coincidence. i am going through a process of elimination to try to see what the problem is in my case. i have ruled out the graphics card since it happened on both, as well as the ram. i think mine could have been the HD failing, or it is some issue with the CPU. if it occurs again, i will be down to either a ram issue, or the CPU, which i should be able to figure out since i have a second machine to swap everything over to.

bcpursel

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
unfortunately, i cant do a clean install, as some of my adobe software does not have install disks. i did get a 10.7 os dvd, to do an upgrade if none of these hardware swap outs eliminate the problem.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Not sure if it helps. I have little graphic issue in the last few weeks. Occasionally have small block of corrupted graphic on the screen. Which may or may not exist on the screen shot.

I open the case, take out the graphic card, give it a blow from the exhaust, and blow the PCIe slot as well (any duster for electronics or compress air should able to do the job well). And then put the card back in.

Now the problem seems fixed. Nothing comes up for more then a week now.

bcpursel

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Not sure if it helps. I have little graphic issue in the last few weeks. Occasionally have small block of corrupted graphic on the screen. Which may or may not exist on the screen shot.

I open the case, take out the graphic card, give it a blow from the exhaust, and blow the PCIe slot as well (any duster for electronics or compress air should able to do the job well). And then put the card back in.

Now the problem seems fixed. Nothing comes up for more then a week now.
i have used 2 separate gpu's, both have been cleaned with compressed air thoroughly. i dont think my graphics cards are the issue.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I don't know if you're using the web driver or not. It's being reported on a few forums that the Nvidia web driver has taken a dive recently. In Photoshop it leaves nasty glitches whenever you try to use any kind of brush.

Reverting to the OSX driver fixes the issues, but 9 series owners can't do this.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
adobe supply all it's software from there website, each time i do a clean install i just grab the CS6 sweat of the site and stick in my info always works fine.
(might be worth burning a copy on to a dvd as a backup)

have seen problems like this after using an osx update on an imac a while ago, just used the combo updater from the apple site and it seemed to fix it. but that was a long time ago osx10.6/7 days i gess.

if you have a second HD you can install osx on to then one way is to install osx on to the second drive then import/migrate you account from the problem drive (first fully update osx) this shude work ok
thats what i did when i installed my ssd worked fine

id gess your using Cs3?
i was using Cs3 for a long time which locked me to osx10.6
if it's Cs2 adobe is giving that out for free (kind of) as they accidentally broke there activation server for it.

Last edited:

bcpursel

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
i am not using a web driver that i am aware. when this started happenning, i did install the
CUDA Driver Version: 4.1.25 to make sure it was not a driver problem. like i said, i changed my graphics card, and it occurred with both.

i am on cs5.5. i have read that as long as you keep an older version of java 6, cs5 should work fine even up to el capitan.
i have suitcase fusion 4 also, which i do not think is compatible beyond 10.8.

i do not think this is related to adobe software. all that is functioning fine and screen errors do not occur while using adobe suite. since cloning my drive and booting from the new drive, i have not yet had any issues in days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.