Strange happening, finder didn't show any files, RiMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steveatesh, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Used my RiMac for ten days up to now no glitches or anything other than my own lack of knowledge of how to use it ( new to apple).

I used it last night and put it to sleep, everything fine. This morning I switched it on and went immediately to the Finder prefs to untick "all files" from view on the sidebar.

I went to open finder, and there were no files at all in documents. Everything had gone. I had an OMG moment, clicked it a few more times then after about 20 seconds everything reappeared in Finder.

Later I plugged in a USB memory stick. It didn't show on the desktop or in finder. The files had gone again. I decided best to reboot, which immediately showed the USB stick on the desktop and finder, and the files had reappeared in documents.

So, a minor glitch caused by some unknown software thing, or anybody else experienced such a thing?

Any idea what might have caused it? Last thing I want is a glitchy computer, that's why I came across to Apple in the first place!

2. enroh macrumors member

experienced this exact thing this morning.

3. Steveatesh thread starter macrumors regular

Steveatesh

ok thanks for that, might be a random software thing then I hope!

4. enroh macrumors member

i would hope so

5. Harry Muff macrumors regular

It's a Finder glitch introduced by Yosemite. The 10.10.1 beta seems to have fixed it.

A quick way to view files when the window fails to populate is to grab the sidebar resizing handle and resize the sidebar slightly.

Another thing is that this problem only seems to occur icon view mode, so you can always just use another one.

6. enroh macrumors member

happened again - thanks for the tip but no dice. time to reboot.

7. Harry Muff macrumors regular

Give us some info on what you are running.

8. enroh macrumors member

base system.