Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wargamer6

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi everyone,

For the last day or so, I've been getting this text when 1 person texts me:

JSDh9E5.jpg

Just started doing that out of the blue; the other person has no idea why it's doing this. Anyone see this before? Google search didn't find anything relevant.

wargamer6

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi Minorite,

I'm running 11.3.1. I don't think there's been any other changes done.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Does the sender have the same problem with other Apple users, or just you?

For now, since you're receiving that text, I'd focus on the sender's end of things. Is this a group conversation with people who are using Android as well as iOS? What version of iOS is the sender using?

If it's just the two of you, I'd suggest first deleting the existing conversation on both ends, force-quit the Messages app, restart the devices, then try again.

If it's a group message, see if the situation continues in a fresh conversation between just the two of you.

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Imo if it happens only with this contact it can be some weird setting/iOS corruption on sender's side or thread corruption as ApfelKuchen mentioned. Have you tried deleting this thread and starting from scratch?

wargamer6

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi again everyone,

He's on iOS 11.3.1 like me. I've had him delete the conversation thread, kill the app and reboot but the problem still remains. It's just with 1 person as others aren't affected.

It's strange as it stopped doing it briefly but came back again.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Hi again everyone,

He's on iOS 11.3.1 like me. I've had him delete the conversation thread, kill the app and reboot but the problem still remains. It's just with 1 person as others aren't affected.

It's strange as it stopped doing it briefly but came back again.

Not sure if this will help, but try disabling/re-enabling iMessage on your phone and his.

Also try resetting network settings on both phones. You’ll have to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
He must be sending mms messages to you, which may be not be enabled with your carrier settings... other than that, it’s a weird issue.. turn on and off imessege maybe and see

Reactions: Armen

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
is he sending his message to an email address (ie: not your SIM card mobile number and also which is not an email address that is registered among your apple ID / iCloud registered email addresses) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.