iPhone Strange iMessage issue

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by wargamer6, May 11, 2018.

1. wargamer6 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

For the last day or so, I've been getting this text when 1 person texts me:

[​IMG]

Just started doing that out of the blue; the other person has no idea why it's doing this. Anyone see this before? Google search didn't find anything relevant.

2. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

What's the exact iOS version? Also, were there any recent updates from Apple or other changes that you remember?

3. wargamer6 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Minorite,

I'm running 11.3.1. I don't think there's been any other changes done.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Does the sender have the same problem with other Apple users, or just you?

For now, since you're receiving that text, I'd focus on the sender's end of things. Is this a group conversation with people who are using Android as well as iOS? What version of iOS is the sender using?

If it's just the two of you, I'd suggest first deleting the existing conversation on both ends, force-quit the Messages app, restart the devices, then try again.

If it's a group message, see if the situation continues in a fresh conversation between just the two of you.

5. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Imo if it happens only with this contact it can be some weird setting/iOS corruption on sender's side or thread corruption as ApfelKuchen mentioned. Have you tried deleting this thread and starting from scratch?

6. wargamer6 thread starter macrumors member

Hi again everyone,

He's on iOS 11.3.1 like me. I've had him delete the conversation thread, kill the app and reboot but the problem still remains. It's just with 1 person as others aren't affected.

It's strange as it stopped doing it briefly but came back again.

7. mattguy10 macrumors 6502a

mattguy10

Not sure if this will help, but try disabling/re-enabling iMessage on your phone and his.

Also try resetting network settings on both phones. You’ll have to re-enter any saved WiFi passwords.

8. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

He must be sending mms messages to you, which may be not be enabled with your carrier settings... other than that, it’s a weird issue.. turn on and off imessege maybe and see

9. niji Contributor

niji

is he sending his message to an email address (ie: not your SIM card mobile number and also which is not an email address that is registered among your apple ID / iCloud registered email addresses) ?

10. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

11. wargamer6 thread starter macrumors member

Yup. It's always been that way.

12. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I guess the other side does not support iMessage, so their phones try to send messages as MMS instead of SMS. There is an emo in one message even.