Strange iPhone photo issue (iPhone different photos in album/event than in iPhoto)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by snowcrash, Jun 7, 2011.

1. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

This just started happening about a month or so ago (not sure at which version of the iPhone (on iOS 5 now but happened before that) but I have the latest iPhoto).

On my iMac I have a ton of events and a few albums. On the iMac everything is in it's right place. Albums and Events all have the correct pictures in them. Now for example I have an album of my son called "Son pics" in iPhoto. It shows all the correct pics of my boy that I have put in that album. Now when I sync with my iPhone and click the check mark for "Son pics" in iTunes to sync it shows the same number of photos listed in album in iPhoto. Syncs to my iPhone and in that album I have the same number of pictues. Yet when I open the iPhone and look at that album (same number of pics synced) the pictures are different from what I have in the album on the iMac. There are random pictures of my Jeep, trips, etc and a bunch of the same of stuff of my son that is in the "Son pics" folder.

I have deleted events and started over, deleted albums and started new fresh ones. Made temp albums or events and tried to sync them. Changed names of events. Rebuilt the iPhoto library twice, etc. I can't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

2. snowcrash thread starter macrumors regular

snowcrash

Also tried to export a event, rename all photos and import the event back. All is fine that way for a moment when I synced that event with my iPhone. Now there was a problem. Did that with a second event (export, rename, import, trash delete (both iPhoto and iMac), close down all, restart all, sync). The moment I import the second event all the pics get messed up. Still have both events on the iPhone, correct names, correct number of pictures but wrong pictures?!?!?!

3. snowcrash thread starter macrumors regular

snowcrash

Another update!

This is kind of crazy. So I did another restore of my iPhone and rebuild of my iPhoto. Same problems. Finally I say screw it, I'm going to just not sync photos till I figure this out. Well I snap a few photos with the iPhone and the thumbnails are photos which aren't even on the phone?!?! If I click the picture it's the correct picture but the thumbnail is something from my past iPhones life lol. So I think what is going on is that my iPhone is restoring but for some reason some ghost images are still floating around.

Right now I'm cleaning out the iPhone of everything but the OS (no apps, email, etc) and filling up ALL the free space with music. Going to restore after that and see if that will at least delete any ghosting of old files I have....

4. Mahpiua Luta macrumors newbie

Strange photos ........

Snowcrash,
    I too am suffering the same problem. Not sure whether or not it started as long ago as a month - from early June - but it's certainly recent.
    I have a 3Gs and although it has the "red tongue of moisture" this happened nearly a year ago and I don't believe it's connected.
    The Apple Store in Covent Garden were bemused by it too, so if you have any updates, please let me know.

5. Rafael Fischer macrumors newbie

Solved!

I am a wedding photographer and i use iPhoto to organize my own pictures and to sync my portifolio to iPad/iPhone, and i was having the same issue for months, now i was able to solve it by deleting the iPod Photo Cache Folder and sync over again...

6. Spinnetti macrumors regular

Me too!

Mine just got jacked up... I did all the earlier mentioned steps too, but random pics are in random events on the phone.... I'll try finding and deleting caches... I presume on the mac? - You would think doing a full iphoto rebuild would clear the cache though.... did that work?

7. MacsRock88 macrumors newbie

What exactly is the "red tongue of Moisture" may I ask?

I have a 3GS too, and noticed when I went to press Photos, this screen of what looks like an e-mail ready to be written on pops up instead of the photos.
    I'm running out of room too, for my photos, so what do I need to make more space? I was told EVERYTHING i put on my phone uses up space for the pix/videos...messages, texts, I don't have any apps on it, and don't really intend to, but it won't take much more photos, and I'm a photographer, so that's a bummer.
    I don't think the camera on the Iphone 3Gs is very good though, the colors are often not realistic... Had a camera phone which was much better than this, though it was not a "smart" phone.
    I'm not crazy about the camera, but I did see an app for a camera on the Iphone which looked good and it was only $1! Do you need to put your credit card on the Apple account to buy a $1 app though? that seems ridiculous to me, honestly. Seeing as how someone could find your phone & get your CC number.
    Also, I cannot get the tunes from Itunes from my computer onto my Iphone. When I hook up the phone to the computer to recharge, download the pix, the pix go on fine onto Iphotos but I cannot seem to bring up the Itunes songs from my computer to get them onto my Iphone, which I find a BIG bummer.
    can someone help me get that done?
    I'm noticing too, when I hit the Notes key, that the little circle you get when you get online rolls around, (didn't think the Notes icon used up data, to be honest), and that I'm ALSO getting that same screen that looks like an e-mail address instead of the Notebook looking page for the Notes Icon.
    What gives with this phone anyway? I called up Apple and they told me to turn phone off and turn it back on, and it work ok for a bit, but it's doing the same thing again now! Ugh :mad:

8. ethan34 macrumors newbie

:(

I've sufferd the same problem since i rebuild iphoto library yesterday.
    All my idevice photos sync from iphoto are wrong.
    I delected the folder "ipod photo cache" in picrure/iphoto/, it does not wok.

sb please help!!!

9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have been having the same problem for the past month or so with my iphone. I thought it was the phone because I always seemingly have an issue with it. Quite annoying, especially when you're trying to look for something specific.

I didn't care much, until I got my iPad today. Now I am having the same issue. It is unacceptable with the iPad as displaying photos is one of my main uses for it.

I tried to delete the cache, restoring, batch renaming in automator. Nothing.

So annoying...

10. tasi2006 macrumors newbie

I have been having this issue since ever!
    and the sad part is that this thread is the only thread that addresses this issue. I have done so many searches through google but nothing!

Anyway, Help me! I have 17,000 photos there! they are all missed up!

11. tasi2006 macrumors newbie

Help!

12. tasi2006 macrumors newbie

13. Hamrdeye macrumors newbie

Same issues in iOS 8.01 and 8.1 HELP!

I am having the exact same issue with and iphone 5c and ipad Air. on 8.01 I deleted the photo cache and re synced the photos and it corrected the issue. however I updated OTA to 8.1 on both devices yesterday and noticed today the pictures are again all messed up and in multiple folders and I have multiple of the same folder name with different pictures in them.