Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I'm on MacPro 5.1 with GTX Titan.. Since i bought an external PSU for the Tity, i decided to use it for my SSD too..
The PSU is an OCZ ZT 750 W.. I used the paperclip trick between the 4th and 5th pin (green and black) to let it power on without mobo and it all worked great..

Then I just got my second SSD and things became absurd.
When i plug both SSD the PSU powers on and then shuts off!
What I tried to do to verify (i have 3 sata cables, each has 3 connectors)(i made this try with the Mac off, so the whole power was available):

- Plug one SSD per time (one cable, one connector). OK
- Plug one SSD on a rail and one on another (2 cables). SHUTS OFF
- Plug both SSDs on the same rail (one cable, 2 connectors). SHUTS OFF
- Changing cables and repeating these 3 points. SHUTS OFF
- Changing rails and repeating these 4 points. SHUTS OFF
- Using a Y sata splitter from a connector of one cable (one cable, one connector). SHUTS OFF

I tought one of the 2 SSDs could be faulty, but they seemed ok when put in the same working condition.
The OCZ shuts off when he has 2 SSDs connected, no matter on which cable or connector or rail.
It looks like when he has to power more than a SSDs he dies.

Faulty PSU? What do you think?

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
Although it does appear to be a faulty PSU, it may be difficult to diagnose unless you are able to send it back to them for repairs or replacement.

You may want to do it soon as I read they filed for bankruptcy and their support may be not the same as it was before.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
That power supply is kinda overkill anyways for just a single Titan.

I know, but the idea was to have the way to eventually connect another GPU.
It has 4 pcie cables and it's one of the best quality/price ratio PSU. Not so many PSUs has 4 pcie cables

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The SSD's will be drawing from the 5V rail, while the video card pulls from the 12V.

So it is entirely possible that the PSU could have a bad 5V section but be unaffected when powering the video card.

Do you have any other hard drives you can plug into it just for correlation?

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
The SSD's will be drawing from the 5V rail, while the video card pulls from the 12V.

So it is entirely possible that the PSU could have a bad 5V section but be unaffected when powering the video card.

Do you have any other hard drives you can plug into it just for correlation?

Yep, i know they are on different rails.
But il looks like the problem is on the 5V.

I'll try with some hard disk instead of the second SSD

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I would keep any external PSU designed primarily for graphics cards away from powering hard drives. The supply using doublers and long power cables from the optical bays is more than sufficient.

Akira28.com

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I would keep any external PSU designed primarily for graphics cards away from powering hard drives. The supply using doublers and long power cables from the optical bays is more than sufficient.

I was using the PSU because i don't have to run cables all through the mac

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013

He's using a standard PSU, using a paperclip on pin 16 of the motherboard's 24 pin harness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.