Strange thing happened overnight with 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone5preorder, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I charged my phone to full last night around 6-7 PM and then I didn't touch it until this morning.

The battery was at 30 something percent when I woke up so I checked usage and it said 10 hours usage and the exact same time in standby. Meaning it was being used the entire night somehow.

I then "ended" all my apps in the task manager thing and then it stopped the usage which is why you see some time in between on the screen shot.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Was there an app that maybe glitched and was being used all night? How common is this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

3. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, that is definitely likely. Facebook is a common offender in this scenario, some games can be as well.

5. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm ok. I don't have Facebook but I did have three pandora like apps open as well as the Nike running app. It was probably one of those. I guess I'll have to stop leaving the apps "open".

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Check your data usage too. My friend had an issue like this and found that an app drained his battery and used 3gb of data during the night.

7. Allenz macrumors member

Same thing happened to me. Someone or something was using my phone all night last night while I was asleep! This has never happened before last night. I wish I could get this kind of real world usage. I would like to know what caused this. It is still happening as we speak and I have closed all background apps.

Attached Files:

8. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

May not be your issue at all but I have found a couple of times the I thought I had plugged in my 5s to charge but the cable is so stiff that it sort of worked its way out and didn't charge at all - I don't think it was my Cat but..
    I found that cable was stiffer than holding ability of plug into phone.

9. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok really weird!

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you ended the apps and the consumption stopped then it's safe to say it's one of the apps you had running, next time it happens close them individually until you see it stop to find the culprit.

11. Allenz macrumors member

I didn't end the apps until this morning when I saw what happened. Then I get to work and check, it there is another hour and change of usage after I closed the apps. So it is still happening with no apps running in the background.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I was writing to the OP ;)

Also, define your usage?

13. richard371 macrumors 68000

I vote for Nike. It may have pegged the GPS all night long and that would do it. When you picked up the phone this am before you closed the apps was the location service icon lit?

14. Allenz, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Allenz macrumors member

Sorry lol. By usage I mean where it says "time since last full charge" there was an additional hour or so of usage after I closed all the apps and kept the phone locked.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

prob one of the apple apps, they never close, like mail, contacts, imsj, etc.

16. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

The iphone has a problem with the Date time it's think that it allready winter time but we will change it in November

17. solo118 macrumors 65816

If it continues, you can take it to a Genius Bar for replacement.

This had happened to me on a 4S, and a 5.

18. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Happened to my moms 4S. It would show like 16 hours since last charged and 14 hours usage and she was at work all day with the phone in her purse. Tried a factory data reset; nothing. Tried a restore through iTunes and didn't fix it. Took it to Apple and they said it was a faulty battery

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

Maybe iTunes Match ? It downloads songs in the background.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Happened to me recently. Turned out it was the Drain My Phone app. Deleted it. Happy camper now.

21. fortheus macrumors regular

turn off your phone and turn it on. likely some background process running/stuck

22. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I see you have one "bar" (dot?) of phone reception...fringe reception is a main culprit with any iPhone 5/c/s...it's using energy searching for your cell network, uses more since it's an LTE phone, trying to find an LTE signal. If you have better reception in another part of the room, you might do better elsewhere. But, you could just leave it plugged in overnight if you don't have time to charge it at the beginning of your day.

But, if it was being used constantly, you may have a problem app that needs to be updated (by developer) to work correctly w/iOS 7. As suggested, check your data usage, but, that might not show if you have wifi. Also close all your apps out in multitasker one night, see if that makes a difference, if it does, you may need to whittle it down to find a problem app.

23. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

[​IMG]