Strangest Election in Years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by decafjava, Oct 19, 2016.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Really when those who spat venom at the likes of Wikileaks and individuals like Susan Sarandon back when they were seen as opposing the Republicans and the right in general now praise them for attacking the Democrats. Conversely, we now have the left attacking them as either Russian moles or traitors to the left.

In a similar vein, I'm sure the "b" word was used against both Margaret Thatcher and Hillary Clinton by their opponents - in spite of the fact some feminists decry all criticism of Ms. Clinton and sexism - which some of it surely is no doubt. But then again so were some of the attacks on Thatcher.

As for Russian "support" for Trump, I bet they just hope he'll be an American "Gorbachev*" and cause enough chaos in the US they'll have a freer hand in Syria and Ukraine-a South American politician (forget who) said as much for his part of the world even though he is ideologically 180 opposed to Trump.

Am I the only one perplexed? Disclaimer: I am more to the centre left but am not a fan of either Clinton or Trump - I'm also an ex-pat Canadian who is nevertheless interested as we are much more affected by US politics than Canadian or Swiss. I'm glad I don't have to vote that's for sure.

*Almost every Russian or ex-Soviet citizen I've met has had nothing good to say about him - they consider him at best incompetent and worst a traitor in the service of "foreign powers" who casued the destruction of the USSR whereas they look more favourably on the reform process carried out in China.

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Has your former place in the Canadian census been scarfed up yet? Asking for a friend... :)

3. decafjava thread starter macrumors 68000

decafjava

Not 100% sure what you mean, but I think there are plenty of places for people coming to Canada.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

That's good because there could be quite a line after Nov 8th, depending on election results. :)

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Many guys called Bush#43 a "********er" as well. It's not just sexism but homophobia...

Or, perhaps, neither. After all, if "bastard" went from "born out of wedlock" to "bad evil vile person", or if "gay" went from "happy" to "gay guy", why can't other words and phrases have different meanings?

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

There have been two bizzare elections in my like. Dukakis riding in a tank and Ross Perot and his chicken feather nonsense. Bush/Gore was high drama post Election Day, but up to that point it was pretty uneventful.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just now spoke about it?

This started getting strange last year (2015), and rapidly went down hill.

But 2012 election already had signs of strange days ahead.

the USA in general is becoming more hard line every day, endless conservative fear based catch phrases, but against what? Not getting a silver spoon?