stream music from ipod to iphone via cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lorraineg57, Jan 20, 2012.

1. lorraineg57 macrumors newbie

Is this possible? Wanting to stream from ipod to iphone then bluetooth to wireless headphones.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't know if that is possible, but why would you want to? What is the scenario?

3. lorraineg57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Music on my iphone controls my treadmill via an audio cable that plugs into treadmill. I've used a splitter to stream music to both the treadmill and headphones at the same time but the cables get tangled (personal lack of coordination doesn't help either). So I want to add an ipod (music is also on it), use splitter on ipod to both treadmill and iphone and bt from iphone to wireless headset.

I've posted here before trying to figure out some way to force play through both cable and bt at the same time (from iphone) and that doesn't seem possible. Thought this might be a workaround but it doesn't seem feasible either?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

AFAIK, you cannot play sound through the wire and BT simultaneously in iOS. Maybe in the jailbreak community you can do this, but I don't know anything about jailbreaking.

But I still don't understand why you would want to send audio to both earbuds and external speakers of the treadmill at the same time.

5. lorraineg57 thread starter macrumors newbie

The treadmill doesn't have speakers. :eek:)
    The music streamed to the treadmill has signals (chirps) embedded that control the speed of the treadmill. Streaming the same music to the headphones allows me to know when the speed on the treadmill is changing so I'm prepared...lol...again the cooridination thing.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ok. Now it makes sense to me. Isn't there some way to hook up some external speakers to the treadmill directly? That would seem like an easier route to take if at all possible.

But as for your original question, I would check into jailbreaking and see if there is a way.

7. lorraineg57 thread starter macrumors newbie

That won't work either as I can't stream music to both the treadmill via cable and speakers at the same time.

I'm already jailbroken but can't find anything there either.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, I mean hook up speakers to the treadmill. So that the treadmill gets the music from the iDevice and then does it's (the treadmill) speed thing AND plays the music. Let the treadmill play the music, not speakers hooked to the iDevice.

Or doesn't the treadmill have a headphones port? The ones at my gym can accept an iDevice plugged into them, and then you plug your earbuds into the treadmill to listen to the iDevice. They can also play any video from your iDevice on the screen attached to the treadmill.

The way you describe the treadmill, makes it sound like a poorly designed one. Why would they make it so you can plug in an iDevice to run it's tempo/speed thing based on the music, but not let you hear it too?

9. lorraineg57 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an older model...I think they figure you can just split the cable and use earbuds like I was doing. That gives a very similar setup to having the audio in cable and headphone jack for audio out. I just keep pulling the earbuds out with that setup so I got a set of really nice bt ones and can't figure out how to work all this out...lol.

10. mattsteffler macrumors newbie

Ooc...

@lorraineg57, a somewhat related question: I'm trying to find some iFit audio, chirps and all, for a first-gen incline trainer. Not interested in ordering CD's or <shudder> VHS tapes.

It sounds like you have some, playable on your iDevice. Where did you get hold of them, if you don't mind me asking....?

For your particular setup, why not a splitter with wireless headphones? No cord entanglement issues then!

11. lorraineg57 thread starter macrumors newbie

I make my own with this program:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060808071913/http://i2workout.com/

you want version 168

You plug in your intervals with speed and incline, add your music and it puts the chirps in. It doesn't work the incline on my treadmill (just the speed) but I'm not sure it that's on ANY treadmill or just mine.

If you get stuck, post back. I wrote a long detailed instruction a while back that I may be able to dig up.

I ended up having to buy a dongle. I ran a splitter from my iphone. One side of the splitter goes to the treadmill via cable. The other side goes to a bluetooth dongle that sends the signal to my wireless headphones.