Stream Music From Mac Air Itunes to Airplay AV Receiver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by johssm, Jan 20, 2012.

1. johssm macrumors newbie

New to this forum and I appreciate all the posts. Here's what I am trying to achieve and am hoping someone way smarter than me can provide guidance:

1. I have a new Mac Book Air - OS 10.7.2
    2. I have the latest version of Itunes (10.5.3).
    3. I have a Denon 2112 AV Receiver that is an Airplay Enabled device.
    4. My son can play his music on the Denon from his IPhone.
    5. I can play music from my NAS on the Denon Receiver.
    6. I don't have Airport Express or Airport TV.

What I want to be able to do is use my macbook air to stream my iTunes to the Denon airplay enabled receiver. Basically the same functionality as what is available on the iPhone and iPad.

I looked at the Airfoil application and that doesn't look like what I need. I was hoping that I could find a way to do this without buying anything else. Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get an Airport Express or Extreme. If so, which would suit my needs. (All I really want to do is take my Macbook air to the back yard, pull up iTunes and play it on the Denon AV receiver on "zone 2", my outside speakers. When I have parties, set up my macbook as a little 'DJ" station and let people pick their songs.

Thanks.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I don't have the Denon, but iTunes can stream to other Airplay devices, so why not yours?

If you play some music in iTunes, do you have the Airplay icon in the lower right corner? If you click on it, does your Denon not show up?

A.

3. johssm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. When I open iTunes I don't see the Airplay Icon anywhere. I downloaded the latest iTunes version but might be missing how to actually enable this function?

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

There's an icon that looks like a box with a triangle in the bottom right corner of my iTunes that I can use to select which set of speakers to use when playing music. I don't know that there's any special settings that you need in order to activate AirPlay within iTunes.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If iTunes doesn't detect any Airplay devices on your network then the icon doesn't show up. So it would seem that the mystery to solve is why does the iPhone see it, but not iTunes?

Are all these devices on the same wireless network?

A.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

it should show up in iTunes.
    i have a denon avr-1912, it's a little fussy at times with airplay. i've seen suggested in other forums to try unplugging it, and letting it sit with no power for 10 minutes.

try rebooting all of your network gear,
    try restarting iTunes, and/or your computer.

also be aware, if you don't have "network sleep" or something like that enabled, the receiver won't show up in iTunes if it's powered down.

7. Lorax184 macrumors newbie

agree with warenov

I have a 2112 and am running 10.6.8 and I am able to stream from iphone OR mac air itunes (also synology servers). I click the rectangle with triangle at base icon in the lower right portion of itunes and select avr-2112CI. If I remember correctly I had to do a couple of software updates on the denon after I got it several months ago. Make sure the iphone, mac air and denon are on the same network.

Good luck - it is nice having it work from several devices anywhere in the house.

8. johssm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the help. I tried updating all firmware on the receiver, resetting all the network equipment, rebooting my Mac, and did verify that all my components are on the same network. I can ping the receiver from my Macbook air without a problem also. I think I might be missing a key component.

I only have a Macbook Air and am trying to get this to stream to my Denon AV Receiver via Airplay. I don't have Airport Express or Extreme components either. My son has the iPhone but I don't.

Everything I've read states that I need an iPhone or iPad, and IOS Version X.x. but I was hoping there was an app that I could download that would basically create the same function on my macbook as what my son can do from his iPhone. Or that I missed something else.

I guess what I am trying to find out is if I can do this without buying my own iPhone, iPad, or Airport Express Adapter?

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

it should work, you shouldn't need anything else

can you get to the web page of your receiver from your mac?

check out istumbler, once in that program, look at "bonjour", then "local."
    your receiver should show up with the name you gave it, once you click that, you should have airtunes listed.

from that you should be able to see if it's showing up in your computer via bonjour, if it is there the airplay logo should show up in the bottom right of the itunes window

is your firewall on? :)apple: -> system prefrences -> security -> firewall)
    try turning that off.

10. johssm thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded istumbler and see all the wireless networks. However, there is no Web Site screen for the receiver. When I went to Bonjour, Local, my receiver was not listed. I tried to turn off the firewall but it didn't make any difference.

Just to make sure everyone understands, the Denon 2112 Receiver is NOT a wireless device. I must connect it to the router via a Cat5 Cable (which I have done). I'll keep trying to get that icon to show up in iTunes like Lorax184 said works.

Thank you for your patience.

11. johssm, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

johssm thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I made a breakthrough. I connected my Macbook Air to my router via Cat5 cable and can NOW see the Denon receiver in iTunes. I selected the Denon and was able to play a song from my iTunes library.

So, it works as long as I have my macbook connected via cat5 to the rest of the network. But, it won't work if I disconnect the Cat5 cable and go wireless on my Macbook.

So, would the Airport express bridge that gap between the wired Denon and the wireless Macbook? Or are there an other suggestions I could try within my router?

BTW, I am now seeing the WEB Page for the Receiver! Very slick. I din't even know about it so thank you for letting me know.

12. warvanov macrumors 6502a

How is your wireless network set up? Do you have just one router for wired and wireless connections, or do you have a separate wireless access point connected to your wired router?

If you have a separate wireless router you may be having problems communicating between devices on a separate subnet. Be sure to have your wireless router set to bridge your network. That is, make sure you're using just one router to assign IPs to devices on your network whether they're wired or wifi.

13. waw74 macrumors 68030

the express isn't necessary. it's just a very basic wi-fi router that has airplay built in, nothing magical.

so...
    son's iphone -> works over wi-fi
    MB air -> doesn't work over the same wi-fi
    MB air -> works over ethernet

sounds like you have something weird in your wireless settings on the air.
    any proxies or anything else enabled?

also since your son has an iphone, there is an app to control the receiver also
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/denon-remote-app/id388608880?mt=8

14. johssm thread starter macrumors newbie

I went through all the settings in the router, played with security, ensured DNS was fully functional, etc. After all that didn't work, I came up with an easy solution that fixed this for me.

I have a NetGear Wireless Extender so what I did was move it to the plug next to the AV Receiver, and plugged the Cat5 Cable from the Denon directly into the wireless extender (instead of it being hardwired all the way to the router). I can now connect to the Denon wirelessly from my Macbook.

I'm happy now. Thank you all for the suggestions and help. I wouldn't have fixed this without all your input.

BTW, I have the ATT Uverse 3800HGVB Router and it is a real pain so I consider this solution a real win in my book.

15. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I have no idea why that solution works while it didn't work the way it was set up before hand. Your problem remains a mystery, although I'm quite glad that it's been solved.

16. mosh-afl macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm having a similar problem. I have the Denon 1912, with a similar setup. My airport express is in bridge mode distributing the wi-fi, and is hardwired to my siemens 6520 (with fi fi disabled). The siemens router is then hardwired to a Tenda switch in the Home Theater cabinet, which has my Denon connected to it.

I have only got the avr to pop up in my itunes a couple of times after resetting (and unplugging at the wall) all my network devices. It works fine for a few minutes then cuts out.. I cant get my Iphone to reliably pick it up either.

Hardwiring the dvr and my mac pro to the siemens router seems to solve the issue. Just not a very ideal set up!

Maybe my network components are just outdated? ones you can recommend?

any suggestions or guidence would be much appreciated

thanks a lot

17. Lazar1389 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. New here (first post) and I have the same problem as the OP and have never been able to figure it out (with a bit of a twist).

Okay, so I am a PC user (yes, hearing the boos) but I have iTunes on two desktops where Airplay works fine with my Denon 2112ci. (Both wireless connections to my router).

My wife's iPhone works fine and connects wirelessly to the Denon via Airplay.

HOWEVER, my laptop has the latest version of iTunes cannot connect via Airplay (the Airplay icon never shows up).

I tried all of the troubleshooting methods suggested here and NOTHING has worked.

What is interesting is that Airplay use to work on the laptop but after one of the many updates, it stopped working and I cannot get it working again.

I've seen many people complaining about this issue and I've found NO solutions (other than the OP who hard wired). I'm convinced it probably has something to do with Bonjour, but I have NO idea how to fix it.

Add to all of this, I'm not very computer saavy, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

18. twoturnspin macrumors newbie

I just bought a Mac Book Pro and had the same issue with connection to my AirPlay Receiver (Pioneer VSX-1021), drove me insane!! My iPhone and iPad connect just fined but the Mac couldn't see the receiver.

My MacBook was connected to my network via a wireless extender & so I switched it to the same wireless router and it now works fine. I would love to understand this better & will talk to the Apple Store guys at my next One to One session to see if I can get right in my head. I don't understand why being on a network extender would make a difference.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

In theory a network extender should act as a transparent bridge between the two access points. In practice, it may be filtering some of the traffic and not passing the Bonjour protocol that Apple uses between the access point. Bonjour is really just a proprietary name for multicasting, so check the extender's configuration page and see if there is any option to enable multicasting. Otherwise, you may have to find a different model known to be compatible.

20. Cinephi1e macrumors regular

My house is all Mac, so I cannot be of much help. However, since some of you mentioned that this problem could be connected to Bonjour, have you installed Bonjour for Windows on your laptops? You can download it here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999

21. Robert 5000 macrumors newbie

Airplay to Denon 2113 AVR

I'm having similar problems in the Denon seems to tKe ages to appear, then seems to lock onto one device only. Hopeless. I'm planning to connect an airport express I have that appears all the time for all devices to the Denon AVR using a Toslink optical mini adapter cable. I wonder is the problem with the denon that it uses my wireless router for the airplay which may not be compatible?