Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asquith5639

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I have a iphone 4 and the latest apple tv.

Is there a way to play a radio station on my iphone using Tunein Radio and stream it to my apple tv. I don't want to use the wifi/internet as I live in the country and have a very expensive plan. I have unlimited usage on my phone as its a company phone so using 3g is not an issue for me.

It all works well when both the phone and apple tv a connected to the same wifi router but then i can't use 3g to stream from Tunein...seems very basic to me. Receive using 3g...play on apple tv!!

Thanks

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I have a iphone 4 and the latest apple tv.

Is there a way to play a radio station on my iphone using Tunein Radio and stream it to my apple tv. I don't want to use the wifi/internet as I live in the country and have a very expensive plan. I have unlimited usage on my phone as its a company phone so using 3g is not an issue for me.

It all works well when both the phone and apple tv a connected to the same wifi router but then i can't use 3g to stream from Tunein...seems very basic to me. Receive using 3g...play on apple tv!!

Thanks

No. You need to be on the same network for it to function like this, just like you wouldn't be able to any network function with the phone on 3G.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If I understand this correctly you have WIFI, it just that it has no Internet connection. So ideally Internet -> 3G iPhone -> WIFI -> ATV. Yes?

Unfortunately, when iPhone detects a WIFI connection, it automatically wants to get to the Internet through it and ignore cellular data. Is there a way to override this? I dunno.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Even I would be interested in something like this. Keeping an eye on this. Hopefully there is some jailbreak solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.