Streaming 1080p Movies with TC to rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sofandi, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sofandi macrumors newbie

Hey,

Been a long-time lurker, but actual have an important question concerning my buying decision. I am about to get a used rMBP and need to decide on getting one with a 256 or 512 GB SSD. I know that there are space constraints as it is on the 256 GB model, but it would actually help a lot to know if it is possible to stream 1080p movies from a time capsule 2 TB to the rMBP, which then gets streamed to an Apple TV hooked up to my TV.

a) Does anybody know from first-hand experience whethe this option is viable? Would the new TC perform significantly better, even when on the rMBP with the n-standard?

b) On a related note: Is it possible to then output the video to the Apple TV and simultaneously output the audio to a pair of AirPlay Speakers? I own the Philips 9800w and I would like to avoid using the chinch input.

Thanks in advance for an info, it would help tremendously in deciding which model to get.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

where are the movies from?
    straight blu-ray rips run in the 4-6 MB/s range, bought from itunes even less, probably half that.

if your signal is strong, wifi (802.11n) should be enough to handle even a blu-ray.

you can select airplay speakers as an output for the newer versions of the ATV software.
    it's in the settings-> airplay menu.
    (there's also a shortcut to get to it somehow, but it's escaping me at the moment)
    *you will not get 5.1 this way (not sure if that's a problem for you)

3. sofandi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. Good to know about the seperate audio stream. The airplay speakers are also 2.0 only.

Yeah, I mean Blu-Ray rips, mkv files of about 10 GB size. Is the previous generation Time Capsule sufficient for streaming these files too? They can be bought at a good bargain right now....

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

anything that is 802.11n (previous time capsule included) should be fast enough.
    Although, as a disclaimer, depending on your house, you may run into problems.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not quite true. iTunes HD movies are in 5Mbps range.
    BD is natively anywhere from 20-50Mbps (BD std caps bitrate at 60Mbps), those 10GB-large mkv-s on the net are recoded to around 10-15Mbps.

6. sofandi thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, does this mean the Time Capsule is not able to handle these bitrates? Or that it will stutter occasionally? I know the TC does not offer NAS capabilities, but I would very much like to avoid configuring and maintaining an NAS, while at the same time circumventing the space constraints on the 256 rMBP...

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

Oh Yes, it is very true.
    4-6MB/s is the same as 32-48Mb/s (big B and little b mean 2 completely differnt things).

i rip my own blu-rays and depending on the movie they come out to 20-40GB in size depending on the movie
    which is why i said straight blu-ray rips, not "something i downloaded off the internet".

and iTunes videos are much less.
    the current top movie on iTunes is the call.
    it's 4.08GB for a 96 minuts movie.
    or about 5Mb/s or .6MB/s so i was wrong on the half probably part, it's even less probably closer to a fifth.

like i said in my original post, it should be able handle them.
    there are a lot of outside influences that come into play with wi-fi, so it's hard to say 100% it will work.

10-15Mb/s (1-2MB/s) is well within the capabilities of wifi as long as you have a good signal.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Pardon me. I know the difference, but I rarely see MB used in quantifying bitrates, esp of audiovisual media. That's why I assumed Mb.