Streaming Audio from OSX to an iPad that has cabled connection to Stereo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Libertine Lush, May 14, 2015.

1. Libertine Lush, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

I've never had an iPad, or used iOS much. I'd like to know if it's possible to stream audio--with or without third-party apps, but without iTunes Match--from a MacBook Pro to an iPad that has a cabled connection to a Hi-Fi system.

To be more explicitly clear, this is the setup I imagine: my rMBP streaming audio (through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth; I have no preference) to an iPad, and a USB cable connects the iPad to my audio interface, which is connected to my Hi-Fi.

As to the audio, I imagine that if there is a way to do this, most methods would be limited to iTunes streaming. Ideally, I'd like to stream all audio from my OSX source if possible.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Maybe you will be interested in this
    http://www.belkin.com/us/F8Z492-Belkin/p/P-F8Z492/

You can connect your hifi in it and stream your music with your iPad or Mac via Bluetooth.I have it connected to my Hifi with 3.5 jack it's signal range and the audio quality it's great.

3. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Apple TV and Airport Express are a couple other options.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Personally, I'd use an Airport Express instead of your idea, if you care at all about audio quality.

You'll get MUCH better sound out of your system that way. Avoid Bluetooth like the plague, it sounds like poop.

5. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Streaming Audio from OSX to an iPad that has cabled connection to Stereo

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202213

I will leave this here ...this is possibly the easiest option.

Edit: Nevermind , didn't read the last paragraph.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I am not sure if you can stream audio from a Macbook to an iPad. I don't see how it would work.
    And agree with others, best and easiest solution would be to use an Airport Express.

7. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I have looked a lot into Bluetooth options. I was close to making a purchase, but for a variety of reasons, including sound quality, I decided against it.

I'm aware of using AirPlay through Airport Express, but the downside is that I can only control iTunes' audio. I listen to a lot of audio through other sources as well.

How much control over my audio would Home sharing provide me? Can I, using the MBP, stream its iTunes content to an iPad, with the audio setup I described in my original post?

I've never used Home Sharing much. I've just tried it on an iPod Touch, a very old one. In the Remote iOS app, when I go into the "Shared" section, it shows no content, even though I've set up Home Sharing properly.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

The airport express'll accept all audio from a Mac. It won't be very useful when streaming audio from say a video in a browser due to the delay you'll be getting. You'll still have sound though.

Your setup sounds overly complicated/convoluted.

Kindly explain exactly what you are trying to achieve, what content you consume and we'll go from there.

9. Libertine Lush, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize that, as I saw no mention of it on the official product page. I looked into it further because of what you said. Is this how you enable streaming of all audio?: http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/01/stream-all-mac-system-audio-over-airplay-os-x/

To enable audio streaming, must you use the 3.5mm output on the Airport Express or can you use the USB port? I feel like the USB port might only be usable for wireless printing--from the tech specs: "USB 2 port for connecting a USB printer."

If I were to use the 3.5mm output, I would need to use a 3.5mm to S/PDIF cable. Hopefully that wouldn't be incompatible with the Express.

How considerable is the audio delay from video content? Is it only for browser-based video?

If streaming audio from other sources, like Spotify or Safari, is there delay?

My main device is my rMBP. I would like to stream all audio--a large iTunes library and various other audio sources (mostly Spotify and Safari based)--to my Hi-Fi, preferably without sound degradation, and thus my decision to not use Bluetooth. To be more specific about my setup, my rMBP is connected to an audio interface through USB, which is connected to my Hi-Fi's amp via an RCA cable.

So I would like to have a wireless audio connection to my Hi-Fi, with my rMPB as the "controller" as I prefer using it to anything else.

Thanks for any further guidance.

10. snaky69, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, that's how you'd enable system wide sound. A simple alt-click on the sound icon and select your output.

The airport express also has an optical audio out in the same jack, all you'd need is an adapter. That'd let a DAC take care of the sound and remove chances of any interference getting into said sound.

The delay is 1-2 seconds, so not very usable for video. At least not outside of the iTunes environment. Video played back through iTunes would be properly synchronized.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I knew this looked familiar.

OP, you just need an Airport express or AppleTV. I'm pretty sure that was clearly stated in your previous thread.

12. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds perfect then. I'll go ahead and try an Airport Express! Thanks.

I overlooked that I have 2 potential input options on my audio interface. Presuming they work, I could connect the 3.5mm output on the Airport Express to either the SPDIF (RCA Jack) or TRS (1/4") inputs in my audio interface.

Would anyone happen to know if there's any difference between those 2?

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Quality wise? Not really no. Just make you use properly shielded, good quality cables and you're good to go.

FYI, SPDIF and RCA, even though they share the same connector are not the same. SPDIF passes along a digital signal, much like optical (AKA Toslink) does, whereas regular old RCA (or Coaxial) cables pass along an analog signal. The SPDIF could, for example, send the signal for a whole 7.1 system from a single cable, while you'd need 1 RCA cable per channel to do the same.

What interface are you using out of curiosity?

14. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had read on a couple sites that SPDIF can have either RCA or Toslink connectors. I thought that meant that the digital signal would be transmitted through either, including RCA.

Komplete Audio 6.

I've decided for a couple other reasons that came up to just go with the 3.5mm input on my amp, bypassing the interface.

15. illusionx macrumors 6502

Nobody suggested this. To stay away from iTunes, you can use Plex to stream to your iPad. But the Plex app on the iOS is a paid app.

16. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

17. mellofello macrumors 65816

Just buy a Apple TV. You can select to have all the audio from your laptop routed over AirPlay. Just go into system preferences and select Apple TV as the output. I listen to many different sources and this is by far the easiest way to beam audio from a Mac to a stereo.

Added bonus is if you want to just listen to iTunes music but are on the iPad it is just a matter of going into the remote app. You can peruse and play all the different music stored in your iTunes.

It is really slick, and a kind of Easter egg feature.

18. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Without connection to a TV, will there be important prompts you'd miss? I read, according to one person, while you could use Apple TV just for audio streaming, you wouldn't be able to update the device without a connected screen.

19. mellofello macrumors 65816

As far as I know the Apple TV can be set for auto updates.

20. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice to know. Thank you.

21. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

Airfoil

Check out Airfoil by Rouge Amoeba. You install the transmitter app on your Mac and the receiver app (Airfoil Speakers) on the iPad. This will allow you to send the audio from any application on you Mac to the iPad.

https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

22. Libertine Lush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that specific example. I had looked into the app, but didn't imagine that exact setup was possible.

23. Mickey8297 macrumors member

Mickey8297

You're welcome. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.